afo shark social 2........

madmullet

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty keen for this. My wife has been wanting to catch a shark for a while now and this seems like a pretty good chance for her to get one with all this combined sharking experience for her to tap into. there'll be 3 of us joining in this social, we'll be land based if i can't borrow my parents boat for the saturday, but if anyone has 3 decky spots up for grabs (i know, a long shot) we'll take them. I've got the rods and some 5/0 & 6/0 circles, but will stock up on some 8/0's and some wire (what lb?) and sinkers (size & style?)

I'm pretty keen for this. My wife has been wanting to catch a shark for a while now and this seems like a pretty good chance for her to get one with all this combined sharking experience for her to tap into. there'll be 3 of us joining in this social, we'll be land based if i can't borrow my parents boat for the saturday, but if anyone has 3 decky spots up for grabs (i know, a long shot) we'll take them. I've got the rods and some 5/0 & 6/0 circles, but will stock up on some 8/0's and some wire (what lb?) and sinkers (size & style?)
80-150lb mate and try and use as little weight as possible

i am defs in!!! maybe a date before the birssy river classic??? Im in a boat, but don't think ill have a decky spot.. ive got a few mates that are always keen.

cool

it has been set for the 3-4/12.... weekend before

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/community/events/viewevent/93-afo-shark-social-2

ok guys if we can all meet at the kirra street boat ramp at 10.00 sat morning that will be good. and then meet agian at the boat ramp at 12.00 sunday so we can have a bbq if people are keen and are going to stick around.

i will be also be giving out some shark traces for the best angerler voted by the afo shark social group which will be valued at $150 which will set u up to catch a shark from .5m to 5m.

• 3 weeks later...

Basic requirement for the shark social.

Rods & reels.

You can use your standard bream gear to target sharks. A 1-3kg rod with a 2000 size reel spooled with 4lb line will catch you a small shark if if be patient enough with it. And of corse depending on what size bait you want to use, you can use your 80w’s or even 130w’s if you have them.

Tackle

Preferably circle hooks but if you don’t have any your standard j hooks will do. Use as minimal weight as you can so when the shark picks your bait up, it doesn’t feel the weight of the sinker. Your choice of wire will come down to what you are wanting to chase in the way of the size of the shark. I would start at around 40-60lb coated multi stand wire for the smaller sharks under 1m and up to 600lb coated wire for the bib fellas. 200lb is a good all round poundage for the sharks around 2m mark. Trace lengths should probably equal or be greater than the shark to try and avoid tail cut offs. Leader should be around 4olb for the small sharks up to 80lb for the sharks that average 2m and up to 130lb for the bigger sharks.

Bait.

Freshwater or salt water eel, live or dead mullet, slimies, bonito, mackerel, tuna, ray flaps, catfish

can i have thorts on the weather. it is looking yuk at this stage.

post-8878-144598720027_thumb.jpg

we will need a back up plan and one that i can think is that the people that are coming, we can ferry you guys to a spot at the pin for some land based action and during the day when the sharks arent biting, we can put the boats on the sand and chill....

thorts please

What's the conditions like at the pin?

May be a bit far away for some people to

sheltered from those winds anyway. with those winds you wont sit properly on anchor and when the tide turns to go out prob will get very chopy. its def a no go for the bay at this stage unless you dont mind siting in rough conditions

Put it this way, I know NE are bad but its been about 10 knots all week and theres been a meter of swell in the river, if that south easterly front comes through on fridy its going to be over 30 knots all night and raising the swell from under a meter to over 3 meters so I think even the mouth would have residual swell from two weeks of north easterlys anyway, add 30 knots and a swell increase overnight and I dont think its going to be very pretty

Archived