Who has caught a tripletail? Any tips?

tiotony

Following the recent 'fish hitlist' topic, I'm getting really fired up to catch a tripletail when I get home next week. Just wondering if anybody has caught one and can give any technique tips. At my local beach I have seen quite a few freejumping when they are chasing bait, but in many years fishing there have only ever hooked one on a gold bomber which I lost on the first jump. The best info I have got is live whiting on isolated rarely fished beaches (eg: an hour south or north of Cairns, such as Wonga beach). Can anybody help me crack the tripletail code?

post-9694-144598684242_thumb.jpg

Brampston Beach is probably the best place to catch triple tails on the east coast.

Fish off the beach. My friend lived at Brampston beach most of his life and has caught countless Triple tails there.His favourite bait was the good old Pilly. High tide leading up to the full moon.

I've saw one off Cairns hanging under floating branches after flooding in the green zone at Green Island so couldnt cast at it. I have also seen a huge one at the wave marker buoy off double island. Cast a fly at it and got a reaction but no hook up. Weipa is also a good place to target them under floating debree.

Thats about all I can tell you.

Carter

Thanks for that Carter I'll definately give Brampston beach a go, and that tripletail in the photo looks awesome. Do you know if there is a specific area on the beach for them, say in relation to the caravan park? And in close to the shore like salmon or far out?

Not too keen on using pillies though, I think I'd be a bit of a shark and catfish magnet if I did!

• 4 months later...

i have fished for triple tail in the west and the territory. they were a difficult fish to target specifically usually for us they were a by catch when chasing jacks . occasionally however they would be out in the harbour or off the points hanging out on moorings or floating debree . thenwe would just use smallish lures and that sometimes worked . will post some photos tonight

Archived