Why i just cant get a mullet?

beckenry

Hey guys, i was bored today so went to the creek where i saw mullets jumping the other day.

I used a fixed quill float and a small long shank hook, I tried bread and corns, but I just did not have any bites. And I still saw those mullets jumping......

So how u guys set up the rig to catch a mullet???

I know I can use a casting net.... but I like feel the fish fights on my light gear :)

hi mate, i just used a small sinker, very small hook with a rolled up piece of bread. No float. had 50cm of leader.

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/8-south-coast-reports/367919-sooner-or-later-it-had-to-be-caught-the-mullet#369267

They can be difficult to catch but dont give up.

hi mate, i just used a small sinker, very small hook with a rolled up piece of bread. No float. had 50cm of leader.

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/8-south-coast-reports/367919-sooner-or-later-it-had-to-be-caught-the-mullet#369267

They can be difficult to catch but dont give up.

Cheers mate.....and if u rig that like, did u feel the bite? I read the articles on internet said that it is hard to feel the bite...

The one that fell for mine seemed to take it and move on slowly. There was no bites, just seeing my line straiten up and drag pulled. I didnt dare to set the hooks in like i did a few years ago when i was fishing for smaller mullet in a creek (by yanking the rod, you can actually take the whole mullets mouth / lips of them and not land any).

I kept tension in the line and it was when i started to wind in, that there were a few small blistering runs. it put up a pretty good fight! I had my drag set to very soft though.

I tried the float previously without success. Just try a few different methods and also google "mullet fishing" for more ideas.

Oh i forgot to mention that i was using bread to burley up the spot that i was fishing too. Mushed up about a quarter of a loaf then threw them in. The large schools of mullet attacked the burley like ants to spilt coke.

Have your bait in the middle of the burley area and that should increas ur chances.

cheers

Hey guys, i was bored today so went to the creek where i saw mullets jumping the other day.

I used a fixed quill float and a small long shank hook, I tried bread and corns, but I just did not have any bites. And I still saw those mullets jumping......

So how u guys set up the rig to catch a mullet???

I know I can use a casting net.... but I like feel the fish fights on my light gear :)

Match the hatch.

Corn only works as bait at luggage point. :evil:

Hi.... some thing I used to do as a kid to catch mullet. Get a large red postal rubber band.....tie 4 or 5 traces about 6 inches long evenly around band tie on fly hooks to the traces. Get a big chunk of bread and put the rubber band around it. Bait the hooks with a small piece of rolled up bread. When the school of mullet hit the bread it breaks up and acts as burley.....falling down around the hooks. Multiple hook ups is usually the result. This has always worked a treat for me ......good luck ...have fun!!

Regards Mark

Archived