My First Barra :)

cy1301

Due to work commitments, I had to come up to Rocky for a week. Being the fishing fanatic that I am, I packed a 4piece rod and a 2500 shimano rarenium into my suitcase as well with half of the sace in my suitcase for lures and tackle :woohoo:

Got here, checked the place out, and started looking for fishing spot when I have the time in between appointments. The accommodation was in the centre of Rocky so I was looking at the Fitzroy river. I heard theres been a lot of barra caught this year and I do see alot of fish activity on the surface, mostly mullet jumping. Long story short, tried a few different spots and lost a few lures to snags.... Made a post on AFO to see if theres any charters and scored an invitation from Damien to go fishing with him.

Plans were made to meet him at 4.30m. A quick hi and lets go fishing, we were on our way to some creeks. All the while with crocs along the bank in my head. When I got there, no crocs to be seen, I was happy. :blush: After some hustle and bussle, we finally managed to get on the creek and start fishing. Creek is not big at all, we had to cross a few times to get onto opposite banks. My heart was set on getting a baara if I can as from what I heard, they are in season.

The first fish I got was a px55 ecogear top water lure. Its a giant herring no longer than a foot. Good fun, subdued it pretty quickly and its off swimming again. As its bit small, I did not bother to take any pictures. Walking along the creek and casting is really enjoyable and you are in the wilderness, not thinking that civilization is only 10 min away. :blink:

Second fish I caught was also the biggest cod I have ever caught and also my first cod on lure. It pulled really hard. I was swimming the SX40 pausing in between and this fish whacked it real hard.

post-9434-144598702567_thumb.png

We came around another corner and started fishing this particular snag. By this time, Damien had a Jackal Squirrel on and aimed for the snag across the bank. BANGGGG he was on, he called it for a flathead but when the "flathead"jumped out of the water with silver flashes, I'm like, thats a weird looking flatty. Its a BARRAAAAAAA. Being from the Gold Coast, we dun get to see Barra, other than in the aquarium so I was realllly excited.

post-9434-144598702597_thumb.png

After a few pics and happy poses, we were back casting ... I was not getting any touch at all and Damien 's reel started screaming again. I'm like, its just luck. Fish was getting bigger in size too. And his third and fourth started to follow as well .... Something is wrong. I have tried every lure in my bag and nothing is working. :(

post-9434-14459870262_thumb.png

Seeing how jealous and desperate I was, Damien was really nice to offer me his rod and use his lure for a cast, once I got the lure into the where the hotzone is, BANG I am on. I was ssooooo happy ... but after a few tug of war, I lost the fish !!!! Another cast into the same snag and I am ONNNNNN again. This time, I managed to pull it in. Little note to myself, go buy a couple of these Jackal Squirrel thingys later.

post-9434-14459870267_thumb.png

Few more cast and the total tally for that one hole is like 13 barras hooked and 9 landed all up. As Damien shot another cast into the snag, he lodged into the snag and thus lost the lure. I reckon if we still had it, we would have landed more. As that was the only Jackal Squirrel he had in that particular size, we decided to make a move back before the tides come in. Apparently the tides are really big and fast here. I was not prepared to stay and find out :P Damien changed to a Damiki plastic and caught his first Bream in this creek so he is really happy.

post-9434-144598702648_thumb.png

All in all, I had a terrific trip and experience. My first barra in the wild, my first and biggest cod and to witness the amount of fishes holding in such skinny water and a single snag is mind blowing. Cheers for a top day Damien. You made my day :)

Coen and I went up again this morning for a quick one.

We ended up throwing poppers and stick baits for a little while,where a tarpon and 3 barra were landed on surface, great fun! BOOF!!!

Also my first tarpon up this creek.

Also landed 3 other barra on the now famous squirrel...

And a small moses and a few flatties.

New certate and tairyo were awesome. Can't wait to stretch it on a proper fish.

Got some photo's I'll upload when I get home tomorrow.

Cheers guys!

Back in Goldy now. Good to be home after a week on the road.

Yeah, this morning was fun especially on surface lures. I chucked on a popper and was getting enquires but alot of misses. You can actually see the fish slowly surfacing and nudging the lure and many a times miss the popper :pinch: :pinch:

Seeing that, Damien changed to a popper too and after a few casts he was on. Tarpon :)NIce and healthy fishes in that creek. Surface fishing is such a rush!!! Swirls and fishes having a go at it and I finally hooked one but lost it to the fish as it was 6lb leader :(

Put an ecogear px55 on and off it goes, a caught my first surface barra :) Good fun and after that fishes kinda shut down on poppers.

post-9434-14459870297_thumb.png

As Damien mentioned, we changed to the squirrels and it was on again. However, due to my bad casting, I lost the lure to a over hanging branch :( Expensive trip as I lost 2 squirrels today.

I had an appointment this morning to go to so it was a short trip. Landed 6 barras all up between us, lost over a hundred dollars worth of lures these couple of day but I guess thats fishing :)

Had great fun and finally caught the fish I was after.

Once again, cheers for that Damien.

Good work Boss, so this is what you call going to Rocky to work means.

Well done Damien, i have fished with Coen many times and usually something interesting happens. cheers wayne

yeah, like me losing all these lures to the snags :( Any me falling on my bum when I attempted to get down a muddy bank :blush: :blush: :blush: LOL BUT, they are NOT stopping me from getting a fish :) Perseverance paid off :)

This is one where Damien casts straight back into the snag and after a few retireves he is on again :woohoo: :woohoo: I was so jealous !!!!!! But Damien was nice to lend me his rod a couple of casts after the footage. :)

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC2R5un9EOg

Archived