flattie landbased spots needed

kevinchen19870316

i have been fishing manly harbour quite frequently with sp these days with only 1-2 flattie a trip.

i don;t think 1-2 small fish should be all i got searching so hard for hours. so i wonder if there r some other nice spots i could have a try.

i heard of people talking about shorncliffe. i have tried the rock wall by the jetty with no luck ( toadie and whiting loves my sp, however:lol: ) i could be doing something wrong so which side should i cast and how far should i go along the break water?

is it that flattie go off the bite when it's cold or there r some other reasons they r so hard to catch compared to previous weeks?

any suggestions on the topic will be appreciated.

I just posted about a Cabbage tree creek shorncliffe trip today

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=237&func=view&catid=10&id=31784#31784

Picked up an ok Flathead there but had no interest in any sorts of lures, tried metals, softs and HB.

i go there quite often and fishing is reeeeeeeeal reeeeeeal slow most of the time. u get tons of small whiting, bream and some other spiny fish. undersized tailors are pretty common. i dun fish on the rockwall but i've heard that it USED to be a great place for big flatties.

your best bet is to fish near the pylons between the jetty and rockwall on an incoming tide. i'd think that's where they hang around waiting for food. what sized hooks are u using? #1 would be good. it's usually too big for the toads and whitings to swallow but yeah, they'll nibble them off anyway.

Another area at Scarborough that I have had flathead sucess at is near the entrance to Newport Waters canals. Morning high tides that flood the sand banks on the waterfront are the best. Just walk the rock wall flicking as you go. If you are there at low tide, you can try the main canal entrance (good drop off), & have a look for likely snags and channels in the banks that may hold fish on the high.

I have also caught a number of other species there including Trevally:woohoo: and a Stone Fish:evil: ...so stay out of the wet stuff.

Good luck.

Go to the DPI Fisheries Research Centre at Deception Bay and park near thier front gate. From there walk down along the bank beside the fence and off the end to head out onto the beach there.

You will find a small trail heading towards bribie in the flats there at low tide these tracks will bring you to the mouth of Burpengary creek and several holes before you reach the mouth. It is very uncommon to not catch very big flathead there ie fish over 70cm. I know of 3 different fish over the metre being caught there in the last 6 months by two different ppl. I witnessed one of the captures at 105cm.

I have not fished there and not caught at least half a dozen flathead that are well and truely legal (over 50cm)and i have fished it dozens of times this yr.

Jack.

Post edited by: mangajack, at: 2007/07/09 21:59

Archived