Takes a tragedy to put things in perspective

Artifishal

Was a sad day today. A fellow fridgy was tragically killed today when his acetylene bottle exploded in his vehicle.

It really put things into perspective how we may know something isn't right but we shut up and do it anyway. What I mean is that legally to carry these cylinders one must have them secured in an upright position in a ventilated space.A lot of guys don't! I my self have mentioned numerous times to my boss that my vehicle is not suited to carry these cylinders as they are not properly secured and not in a ventilated space. In the end the work needs to be done and you feel pressured for your job so you just do it. After I heard the news this morning my oxy acetylene set is now sitting back at the workshop and not going back into the vehicle till it is up to code. I know of so many guys that are driving around with the same issue because companies are to stingy to spend the money or they just don't care. As always it takes an avoidable tragedy to make people sit up and notice and if anything good comes of this hopefully it will give guys the reason to stand up to their employers and demand for their right to be safe and go home to their families.

Rest in piece mate.

Brad

Sorry to hear about that mate and I'm sure everyones thoughts are with the family and everyone affected. A lot of places cut corners and it is not until an accident happens that something is done about it. I understand it costs a lot to set everything up correctly to the standards but businesses have to realise the standards are there for a reason. Most of them have been developed because of these accidents or simply a lot of research into the safety of workers.

Hope your van gets sorted out soon mate.

Yup, so many bosses don't care about OHS, new OHS legislation comes into effect Jan 01, 2012, fines for those who flaunt safety will soon see them doing the sums. New fines are:-

Category 1:Conduct that recklessly exposes a person to a risk of death or serious injury or illness, Corporation, 3 mill, Individual, 600K, 5 years jail or both

Category 2: Fails to comply with a health and safety duty that exposes a person of death or serious injuy or illness, Corporation, 1.5 mill, Individual, 300K,

Category 3: fails to comply with a health and safety duty, Corporation, 500k, Individual, 100K,

So a boss who allows workers to carry an acetylene in an unventilated vehicle, not secured, would probably fall into Category 1, so a big big fine there and perhaps the need for the soap on the rope. Likewise with those who work at heights without the proper gear, work in trenches without shoring, batters or geotechnical report, work with Dangerous Goods without Risk Assessment or PPE etc etc.

Too many people die at work.

Yup, so many bosses don't care about OHS, new OHS legislation comes into effect Jan 01, 2012, fines for those who flaunt safety will soon see them doing the sums. New fines are:-

Category 1:Conduct that recklessly exposes a person to a risk of death or serious injury or illness, Corporation, 3 mill, Individual, 600K, 5 years jail or both

Category 2: Fails to comply with a health and safety duty that exposes a person of death or serious injuy or illness, Corporation, 1.5 mill, Individual, 300K,

Category 3: fails to comply with a health and safety duty, Corporation, 500k, Individual, 100K,

So a boss who allows workers to carry an acetylene in an unventilated vehicle, not secured, would probably fall into Category 1, so a big big fine there and perhaps the need for the soap on the rope. Likewise with those who work at heights without the proper gear, work in trenches without shoring, batters or geotechnical report, work with Dangerous Goods without Risk Assessment or PPE etc etc.

Yeah my old man has been telling me about it. You wouldn't be a government inspector too? :P

Very very sad to hear this news as well today. As plumbers we all carry acetylene bottles in our vans and not one of them are set up properly. It only takes a leaking bottle and then just open a door and the in-car light comes on and thats your ignition souce. The amount of times I have said this just isnt right but its a sticky situation what do you do? Take the bottles out of the van and then when your at a job and need them the boss would be blowing because you took them out of the van. The old "mate ive been carrying bottles around for years and nothing has ever gone wrong" would be the usual tune. The usual saying is "IT SHOULD BE RIGHT" well seems in this case it wasnt. Its just so so sad to hear. If only workplace and employee saftey was a top priority!! Ive heard you can only carry bottles upto a certain size or weight? And the regulators must be taken off and saftey plug screwed into the bottle whilst stored. Also heard if they are being stored inside a work van they must be in a sealed compartment that is only ventilated to the outside and ive heard the vents need to be at the bottom, as gases like lpg being heavier than air can escape safely.

Cant wait for this OHS legislation!!! Its so overdue

Really sorry to hear this has happened to another worker just trying to doing his job

Adam

Yeah my old man has been telling me about it. You wouldn't be a government inspector too? :P

hell no

The new legislation has not really changed things that much, just spells it out more clearly. The big panic is from those whom could not be bothered checking out their obligations under the old act, suddenly panicking now that it is spelled out in words a 6 year old can understand and they think it is a new obligation.

The new rules actually slightly weaken the old ones, there will be no requirement for companies to have WH&S officers, (Currently any compnay employing 30 staff must have one) most clubs and associations whom do not employ staff will basically be exempt. Previously if you were on a club committee or board, or an official of the club in any capacity, you were liable under the workplace health and safety act for any breaches of the act. Which by the way, was not covered by your clubs indemnity insurance.

But back to the chase - If your carrying cylinders in vans etc illegally, dont worry about your boss, if WH&S catch you, you will cop a substantial fine. If something happens and they shut down the workplace and inspect all the other vans, you will cop a fine.

If your Boss wont fix it, do yourself and your work mates a favour and call WH&S tomorrow, or it might just be your wife and kids sitting at home alone.

The new laws are going to place more responsability for OH&S breeches on the individual so as you stated the boss will be playing the roll of mummy for a while , But the worker that carries out the unsafe act will recieve the individual fine of 500k. So after Jan 1 best if the gas bottle stays in the workshop till they get the van sorted.

Does anyone know how they are going to make the deregulation of operators tickets work ???

Condolences to the guys family. no one should die trying to feed their family

The new laws are going to place more responsability for OH&S breeches on the individual so as you stated the boss will be playing the roll of mummy for a while , But the worker that carries out the unsafe act will recieve the individual fine of 500k. So after Jan 1 best if the gas bottle stays in the workshop till they get the van sorted.

Does anyone know how they are going to make the deregulation of operators tickets work ???

Condolences to the guys family. no one should die trying to feed their family

the fines for individuals are much lower cat 3 300K or 5 years jail, Cat 2 150K and Cat 3 $50K.

Archived