Outboard Hours

mickzxc

All depends on the age of the boat and how often it has been serviced, i went for the lowest hours on the youngest boat i could find when i was looking but i have since put 80+ hours on it in 7 months when the previous owner had only done 112 in 4 years..

my limit would be around 200 hours if the motor is any bigger than a 50hp.

Do you have any boats in mind?

I have 780 hr on 60hp 2 stroke merc that is 7 yr old and I went to trade it for a 4strke and it still has all its paint on the skeg and prop but they recon I would be lucky to get 2 grand so I am going to keep it. My motor has been servicd by creek marine every year and has never had a problem , a mate of mine who is a guide got 4000 hrs out of a yammy 2 smoker so they are long wearing if used regular and serviced properly I would say . Be careful of boats with low hours for the age...matt

As has been said, 2 strokes that get used regularly last, if a 5 year old motor has 100 hours that might seem like a good thing but it may mean the motor has just sat there. In saying that I just bought a 115 yamaha saltwater series v4 thats about 7 years old and has 130 hours but I know that it was used weekly but just not for long periods of time, so I was fine with it, great low hours motor that runs like a dream. Just be aware that just like the digital speedo or hours meters on dirt bikes now its still very easy to reset the hours by installing a new hours meter. People do it especialy if that means another couple of grand in thier pocket. The goldden rule with two strokes is that the more regular use they get (and regular servicing) the better they will perform and the longer they will last.

Archived