Car sat nav - Can you recomend one

Bri The Pom

I got a 5inch garmin with lifetime map updates from DSE just before xmas.It was absolutely hopeless.Told me 100kph in lots of country towns such as wallangarra part of tenterfield. Said 100kph in 90kph zone at nudgee despite saying 90kph speed camera there. Saying 60kph in 80 zones on redland bay road,80 kph in 70 kph zones.

Went banck to DSE and they asked me if i had updated maps and when i said that you told me that it had the latest maps already loaded they said must have just been an upgrade.

Ended up on phone to garmin help centre spending nearly an hour upgrading maps to only find it had latest installed.

Went back to DSE and jumped up and down and they reluctantly agreed to change it for a tom tom ( $50 extra) with no free map updates but the unit is a lot more user friendly.

Havent tried talking to it yet.

One funny with it is it doesnt turn automatically when ignition turned on but if you turn ignition off for 3 or 4 seconds and turn it on again it fires up,

Dunno if its a fault or i need to get into the instructions again.

THe computer generated voices can be hard to understand.

Turn reet

But right turn ahead is ok.

Only fault is I will have to pay for map updates and the street names are a bit small when wearing sunnies.

None of the mongrell things come with a printed instruction book so it is a real pain in the proverbial having to fire up the compter if you forget how to use a facility

cheersray

Ended up

I have a galaxy 2 phone and bought a cheap $20 attachment from sc auto. The galaxy has a number of gps on it, but the one I use gives you good directions, and you can go to a photo of the place as well so you can see what it looks like as you're driving up to it. Woirks pretty well. The phone is on a plan that's expensive but it saved me from having to buy a gps

Archived