Pot Robber

wallyfly

My grandson and I caught a young woman pulling one of my crab pots out of Jabiru Canal, Newport today. After roaring at her to leave my pot alone,her response was that she wasn't going to steal it. As there were about 20 people around including, I think, her family, I didn't pursue the matter any further as her embarrassment of being caught red-handed should be enough punishment.There is a $1000 fine for anyone found tampering with another's pots under the Fisheries Act and $500 fine if your pots don't conform to their regulations. That goes for redclaw and shrimp pots as well. I've relocated my pots. :cheer: :angry: Ian M

Spent last four days on Somerset dam and having a chat to many peopleand redclaw catches fluctuated from 0 to 20 or 30 per pot.

Apparently earlier this morning though some eager eyed campers spotted why they were getting 0. Old mate on the jetski knew he was busted but chose to hang off the end of Kirkleigh for an hour before deciding to beach his craft and face the music.

(And the owners of the pots who wanted a word)

Spent last four days on Somerset dam and having a chat to many peopleand redclaw catches fluctuated from 0 to 20 or 30 per pot.

Apparently earlier this morning though some eager eyed campers spotted why they were getting 0. Old mate on the jetski knew he was busted but chose to hang off the end of Kirkleigh for an hour before deciding to beach his craft and face the music.

(And the owners of the pots who wanted a word)

did they get justice booty?

No one called us... so I say it was handled at 'ground level'.

how much of a turned eye can you have on situations like this? as in what the mob can do?

i guess what im trying to say, at what point do u get involved when the people that have been having their pots raided have a go back at them?

There have been plenty on NPD too. Fisheries did an inspection of all traps on NPD in ths PRFMA area on March 19 and removed a large number due to their failure to comply so the owners risk a fine of up to $500 if reclaimed. That will clean out a few scumbag's excess and illegal pots. Hope that cleans out the lousy types who have raided our pots in the past. Im not renewing my permit ths year cos the fishing is very ordinary and the area is the same year in and year out so back to the salt and rivers. :cheer: IWM

Archived