Brisbane River Session #151 [Noob Crabbing at its Finest]

AUS-BNE-FISHO

Hi all

Last night I set out with two crab pots, some chicken, and a bream/tarwhine frame in each trap. I was originally going to strap my pots to my bike buggy, but by the time I was back from my tennis comp it was dark, so Dad decided to drive me (he probably came to regret that when he realised how much the bait stunk lol). I am going to build a rack that goes on the back so I can take four instead of two, in the coming weeks. 

I set the two pots, both landbased, in somewhat likely looking spots. At the first spot a stray cat prowling around gave me quite the fright while I slid down the bank to the river. It was a steep bank and plenty of mangroves nearby, but unlike last time the tide was up and I couldn't throw my pot sideways towards the undercut part of the bank, only straight out over some rocks. I then almost slipped on my bum when I was clambering down some muddy rocks at the next spot - (I came back to the car with mud all over me and got yelled at when mum/brother/sister found out). I checked them this morning and they were both empty, though one pot had three holes in it (in the shape of a crab shell) suggesting that a couple got out. I was disappointed but wasn't expecting much, anyways. I do have a couple of questions:

1. Do all the crabs tend to become less active in big rain events like this? I know a bit of fresh makes them go deeper but it seemed unusual I couldn't get anything.

2. Do crabs leave the pot if they can't eat the bait because it is stuck in the bait bag? I think I left them too long, going off the holes.

3. Is it normal for crabs to cut/claw their way out of the pot? 

4. How long is to long? I read a lot of conflicting information, and I know everyone has a preference, but 1 or 2 hours is a pretty big difference to 24hrs.

Thanks for reading,

Cheers Hamish

Stats of Trip:

Recent Rainfall: 300mm in last couple of weeks

Tide: Two Highs, One Low, 1.4, .7, 2

Moon Phase: 78%, Increasing

Bait Used: Chicken, Fish Frames

Gear Used: BCF Pryml Crab Pots

Overall Success Rate: 10%

1-- I don't know Brissy river at all, but I'd reckon there'd be a lot of fresh water still there,

not crab friendly.

2-- Your pots shouldn't have any holes in them for crabs to escape from.

3--Only if they are full or they don't like your bait.

4--Normally I leave for 1 hourly checks or will leave for a tide change soak..

Hamish, you are better off with 2 really good pots than 4 make do pots,

some pots I've got cost over $80 each, they last for many years looked after.

Just keep trying like you did when learning to fish, you will learn the secrets, tides and moon 

play a part in crabbing too.

Always have good bait.

Good luck, keep on crabbing.

Edited by Angry51
correction

Thanks very much Angry, the water is certainly very fresh in the river at the moment. I might wait a few weeks until holidays to try again. I might also try checking them more regularly opposed to leaving them for overnight.

I tightened the entrances up on my pots, so they weren't so flimsy, as well. I will probably consider buying better pots over time, though I would hate to have 80 dollars stolen because I left my pot in the wrong spot 😅

Cheers Hamish

2 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

I tightened the entrances up on my pots, so they weren't so flimsy, as well. I will probably consider buying better pots  I would hate to have 80 dollars stolen because I left my pot in the wrong spot 😅

Hamish, If you have any holes in your pot for crabs to escape you might as well stay home and watch TV.

Just take your bait down to the creek and throw it in the water and feed the crabs. The idea is once the crab goes in

he cannot escape.The reason I check my pots often is so no one checks them or steals a $80 pot. I go crabbing and throw a line in to fill in time, that way I can keep an eye on my pots, trust no one. And that's why I don't catch many fish.

Spent many trips crabbing and you learn as you go, every trip is different. I also tie my pots with those wire rings used to tie netting onto fences. Carry a pair of side cutters to open pots so it's not easy for someone to raid my pots.

Hope that helps.

51 minutes ago, Angry51 said:

Hamish, If you have any holes in your pot for crabs to escape you might as well stay home and watch TV.

Just take your bait down to the creek and throw it in the water and feed the crabs. The idea is once the crab goes in

he cannot escape.The reason I check my pots often is so no one checks them or steals a $80 pot. I go crabbing and throw a line in to fill in time, that way I can keep an eye on my pots, trust no one. And that's why I don't catch many fish.

Spent many trips crabbing and you learn as you go, every trip is different. I also tie my pots with those wire rings used to tie netting onto fences. Carry a pair of side cutters to open pots so it's not easy for someone to raid my pots.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Angry, I see. 

I should have specified - my pot only had holes in it after it was in overnight, which indicates to me crabs cut their way out. Hopefully next time the crabs aren't as smart, lol. 

Cheers Hamish

17 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

1. Do all the crabs tend to become less active in big rain events like this? I know a bit of fresh makes them go deeper but it seemed unusual I couldn't get anything.

2. Do crabs leave the pot if they can't eat the bait because it is stuck in the bait bag? I think I left them too long, going off the holes.

3. Is it normal for crabs to cut/claw their way out of the pot? 

4. How long is to long? I read a lot of conflicting information, and I know everyone has a preference, but 1 or 2 hours is a pretty big difference to 24hrs.

1 - Normally the rains make the crabs move around and it is better crabbing. In saying this the Bris river has been flooding and this probably has pushed all the crabs into the deeper water and towards the mouth. They can move a long way. FYI female crabs can spawn way out to sea. 

https://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/fish-facts-mud-crabs#:~:text=While most of the life,only for around 2 weeks.

https://australian.museum/learn/animals/crustaceans/invertebrates-collection-mud-crabs-at-sea/

2 - Yep they get stuck in the pot. They try and escape. If there is a hole they will find it.

3 - Yep If you have fine mesh crab pots the muddies will break through and escape. They can even do this to thicker mesh pots. My theory is that they get their bodies jammed up in a courner and push and pull till they snap the lines. I also think they might be able to squash the mesh and cut it a bit like side cutters. 

4 - It all depends on how you are fishing. 1-2 hours is nice if you are in the area and can get to them but sometimes I do leave them for 24hours. 

Don't be too worried about where you are crabbing. They move around and not many people fish for them in the River. Stay safe, put them in where you are fishing. Trial and error will find you the most productive spots. 

10 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

1 - Normally the rains make the crabs move around and it is better crabbing. In saying this the Bris river has been flooding and this probably has pushed all the crabs into the deeper water and towards the mouth. They can move a long way. FYI female crabs can spawn way out to sea. 

https://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/fish-facts-mud-crabs#:~:text=While most of the life,only for around 2 weeks.

https://australian.museum/learn/animals/crustaceans/invertebrates-collection-mud-crabs-at-sea/

2 - Yep they get stuck in the pot. They try and escape. If there is a hole they will find it.

3 - Yep If you have fine mesh crab pots the muddies will break through and escape. They can even do this to thicker mesh pots. My theory is that they get their bodies jammed up in a courner and push and pull till they snap the lines. I also think they might be able to squash the mesh and cut it a bit like side cutters. 

4 - It all depends on how you are fishing. 1-2 hours is nice if you are in the area and can get to them but sometimes I do leave them for 24hours. 

Don't be too worried about where you are crabbing. They move around and not many people fish for them in the River. Stay safe, put them in where you are fishing. Trial and error will find you the most productive spots. 

Thanks @Drop Bear. I'll keep these tips in mind next time I'm crabbing. I will definitely try checking them after short time periods.

Have you watched one of Sammie's latest videos on crabbing?  Pretty sure his dad got more crabs in his pots in a few hours thanks Sammy and his mate did overnight.  The old guy obviously had an eye for likely crab spots.  Crabs definitely move around but some spots are better than others - just like fishing.  But I know you would have done your research.

8 minutes ago, Kat said:

Have you watched one of Sammie's latest videos on crabbing?  Pretty sure his dad got more crabs in his pots in a few hours thanks Sammy and his mate did overnight.  The old guy obviously had an eye for likely crab spots.  Crabs definitely move around but some spots are better than others - just like fishing.  But I know you would have done your research.

Yep, I actually saw that. I think it was around the Southern Bay Islands???? 🤔

It definitely seemed like his dad knew how to pick spots. They did very well assuming that they actually hadn't been crabbing for however many years that Sammy said, though. I assume it will take a little while before they become a bit more active in the more upstream parts of the river. They seemed to do somewhat similar things to what I did although they had better quality pots by the looks. 

Cheers Hamish