Mangrove Jack or Flathead

MichaelJ

There is a good lake at cabbage tree that has heaps of jacks but mainly produces in the warmer months live poddy mullet for bait just about garantee a jack every trip I have only caught small ones there but have watched my mate real in one over 60

caught last summer, going back this summer to nail a bigger one have also seen plenty of bream, flatty,cod in there as well, all good sizes they come in through the drain that feeds it so it is slightly tidal but now all the fish are trapped in there and there is plenty of mullet and prawns in there to let them get heaps bigger [img size=499]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/000_0261_AFO.jpg

post-1103-144598422681_thumb.jpg

gday mate for flatties landbased i would recommend nudgee beach, shultz canal, pine river out the mouth around hornibrook bridge wading the flats. best plastics are anything from the berkely 3-5 inch gulp range and the squidgy wrigglers etc. hardbodies rio prawns are good.

for jacks landbased its another story. good spots close by are as rare as hens teeth and people are unlikely to give out spots which theyve worked hard for. a little further drive and all bridges on the sunshine coast and gold coast all hold jacks through summer, work the tides out and you work the jacks out. if the jacks are feeding theyll eat anything. best baits are big flesh baits, mullet fillet. lures that work are the good tight actioned hard bodies that can dive deep. cheers mate [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/57cmjack__Small___Custom_.jpg

Post edited by: morty, at: 2007/07/31 20:47

post-1075-144598422758_thumb.jpg

I don't fish for flatties much anymore but trolling up and down nudgee creek in a kayak is a sure way to get some. Decent sized HB's or even spinnerbaits(got my PB on a spinnerbait) work. Just as an example the sx48 and 60's are good starters aswell as some of the halco scorpians and lasers. Polterigists would work but they may get snagged a bit.

Thanks

Archived