Humminbird Sounder Interpretation

nabs

Hey all,

Took a few shots today of what my sounder was reading.

Keen to hear your thoughts on whats going on as for a few shots Im a bit confused...

Sounder is a Humminbird 798 hd si, and sensitivity was cranked up to full.

post-107-144598793957_thumb.jpg

I dont understand why the sonar (top half of the image) isnt showing the bait on the left that is shown on the down imaging?

post-107-14459879395_thumb.jpg

post-107-144598793941_thumb.jpg

post-107-144598793965_thumb.jpg

This last one is a shot from earlier in the session, the depth setting was to deep but you can see whats going on. I got a small Jew from here. What I don't get is why the sonar is showing fish, while in the above images the sonar barely shows anything?

I found the same sort of things with mine (exact same sounder). What transducer do you use?

I found a forum on the net with a heap of guys that are nuts about side imaging etc and got some settings off them to try, improved what I was seeing heaps. It had alot to do with removing alot of the auto settings and dialing them in for the depth of water you fish. Maybe you have already done this?

I will hook the battery up in the boat tomorrow and have a play to jog my memory for you mate. But from what I remember you can change one setting to advanced which opens up a heap more settings.

I do remember that I had to change the water type setting (changed it to salt water shallow), also the screen speed and sensitivity have alot to do with the quality of what you see. Another one was changing the depth from auto to a manual setting just deeper than the area you are fishing, stops the tansducer looking to send waves out to max depth and therefore increases the data it has to play with (this is what the side image geeks had to say anyway).

Have a look through sideimageforums.com when you have time and a clear head and it might help out some.

hhmmm interesting.in that shot of the bait and your wondering where it is on the down image? the bait show is there on both your only looking in side scan to the right the left side scan to me looks like you have not activated it and is not working,i maybe wrong. what i think iam looking at is a bait ball in the beam of the down scan eco and in the side scan it shows that the bait is directly under the boat and goes out a few mtrs 7mtrs off the bottom?

on my side scan when i only use one side only one set off depth curses come up on the side of the screen your imaging. if i look at left and right SI the distance being scaned comes up on the left and the right as you can set how far the side image scans eg,25mtr on the right SI and 15mtrs image to the left.best images are shown having both settings set at the distance.

post-5342-144598794718_thumb.jpg

hear is a shot of mine. what your looking at is a centre line being the midle of the screen and this is centre line is the tranducer hight top of the water the black is what is between the transducer and the bottom and any thing that is shown in the black is mid water then the bluey edges out side the black is actual botom and you can see they are logs,that white out line on the left is the bank and the right runs out

post-5342-14459879473_thumb.jpg

this is just bait and that is the sand ripples of boggy creek in the side scan you can see the bait mid water in the si

Chers for the responses.

Mick Fillet-

Im not using side scan in any of those images :blush: Its just down scan. So thats why I was confused as to why the down scan was showing bait and sonar was not showing anything. A friend said its because they are running on different frequencies.

Cheyne-

I was out yesterday again playing around with it, I found that "advanced settings" option and now have a lot more freedom to play around with it.

I think what Im confused the most is the different settings between running 83htz/200 or whatever. :S

It will be in the settings.

If the down scan and sonar have different settings options you will need to fine tune each one separately.

If they run off different transducers as well the very slightest difference in tranny angle can cause the different readings.

Cheyne-

I was out yesterday again playing around with it, I found that "advanced settings" option and now have a lot more freedom to play around with it.

I think what Im confused the most is the different settings between running 83htz/200 or whatever. :S

You must have the same transducer I have mate. I always run mine in the 83/200, it gives the best overall coverage as one is a wide beam the other is a small beam. Now that you have the advanced settings going drop the screen speed for down to about 3 for both the down scan and the sonar, it will give you better resolution and therefore you will see heaps more information. Also try the setting that takes the depth off Auto and set your own max depth, I noticed the biggest difference once I figured this setting out, also stops you getting double returns in sandy areas.

I didnt get my boat out on the weekend so didnt get a chance to get my settings for you yet, will take some phone pics next weekend and pass them onto you.

Archived