Dolphin in the river

Oceandonkey

Hey mate.

It is becomming more and more commonn yes.

And i think being that dolphins are not the dumbest creatures in the sea it would have to indicate that the river is cleaning up a bit.

I saw a pod of dolphins (probably about 4 or 5) all the way up at Yeronga (opposite the indooroopilly golf course) last year.

And a lady who's house the company i worked for sold which was on the river oppisite the regatta hotel said she see's them several times a week. Sometimes carving up schools of fish!

Angus

yeah it was just ploding around inbetween grey st bridge and the one that the trains run across (closer to toowong).

I work number 54 coro drive its the last building before the hale st on ramp (if your heading to toowong) on the top floor, well the 4th floor but we are the top.

I often see guys on the other side of the river fishing....with no luck but yeah its amazing how much activity there is on the river....you dont realise until you look at it 8 hourse a day lol.

I see the cleanup team on a regular basis picking up peoples junk on the water.....they have an awesome job cruising around all day.

Dolphins don't seem to mind a bit of silt and grunge in the water. Before I was married (25 years ago) we used to fish from a public jetty at West End. Dolphins used to cruise past every other trip in water that looked like it would make a billy goat puke.

Main catches then were sharks, giant threadfin, river perch (those little mulloway relatives) little spotted threadfin (Polydactylus specularis), squire and the usual flathead, bream, catfish, etc.

Yeh my sister who rows along Coro Drive has seen it/them a few times, but not so recently, it was more last year.

And yeh my old man works in level 30 or 33? anyway somewhere round that height, in the city, overlooking the river, and he said all the time there are things breaking the water and making splashes or eddies etc. He never actually gets a good look at what's there though cause by the time it catches his eye and he looks at it, it's usually gone! But yeh he has seen dolphins as well.

Good signs for the river health!! :lol:

But I would have a guess as to say that if we got a decent amount of rain, then it would probs flush them downstream into saltier water.

Joel ;)

I remember catching the city cat home from uni back in 2005 and they actually stopped it to watch some dolphins. I'm sure some people would be outraged if you tried, but I've always wondered what it'd be like to catch one. If you think a Barra jumps imagine a dolphin doing back flips on the end of your line!!!

now this might be hard to beleive, but last weekend i was hand feeding a dolphin outside, it was on its own, and it looked really old, it had scars allover it , prob abandoned from its pod, but up close they are so bloody big, you really have to see them up close

Once outside deep sea fishing we kept a bait half way down but every now and then a dolphin kept taking the bait and eventually we hokked it up. When it realised it was hooked just started running but eventually bit us off.

And another time when we were trollin for billys we put a squidgy trollin lure out and it got hit by a dolphin but no hook-up thankfully so you know it has to look like bait..... wish it was a billy:pinch:

I would just like to say that on saterday i saw a dolphin in the westlake stretch of the river, my friend also saw 3 go past his pontoon and he lives on westlake drive... My theory is that they are eating the dead fish :P

i nearly jumped out of my skin i thought it was a shark..

Hmm Dolphin gracefull creatures I love it when they cruise with you on the way out or in from your fishing trip B) but they are a PITA when your fishing :angry: luckily up here you dont get seals my ex wife made the mistake of throwing one a fish damm thing followed us around Port Phillip bay all afternoon :angry: maybe thats why she's an EX :silly:

I can see myself in summer having a massive freak when I fall off the ski’s and am sitting in the water and see a fin (or a group of fins!) swimming towards me :woohoo: . I’m sure i’ll be able to tell they’re dolphins but if I just get a glimpse of a fin :dry: !!!!

Joel ;)

Archived