No Spark

Ricko69

Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone has come accross this problem before. I have a 70 hp yamaha that has not been started for almost a year and it has no spark.It was running fine when it was parked up but when I tried to run the motor yesterday there was no spak at all.

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks

I am certinaly no mechanic, presuming you have checked fuses and switches etc, start with checking the basics- Pull the lead off the top of the plug and put a screwdriver in the end of the lead and hold 2-3mm away from ground engine component to watch to see if you can see spark jump,(NB- if you become the earth source there will be no need to see the spark you will feel it...) if there is a spark present at the end of the leads - then clean/replace your plugs. If there is no spark check the leads are not breaking down and arching elsewhere(usually easier to see sparks arching when dark). Track it backwards then from leads to ignition pack and check voltage at ignition pack plug. If there is no power at ignition pack, Locate the rectifier(will usually be in/near the magnito), these are usually set up on spring backed 'brushes' similar to inside an alternator, so if they are not making contact there will be no voltage. If the recitifier is fine, then check there is actually votlage being generated and available at teh regulator to drive the ignition packs.

• 2 weeks later...

Aussie 123 gets the cigar, kill switch but not faulty working fine the master boatman forgot to put the little red thingy under the switch didn't he, :whistle: :huh: who feels like a richard cranium !!!

Thanks guys

Let the ribbing begin !!! :blink:

Aussie 123 gets the cigar, kill switch but not faulty working fine the master boatman forgot to put the little red thingy under the switch didn't he, :whistle: :huh: who feels like a richard cranium !!!

Thanks guys

Let the ribbing begin !!! :blink:

I don't think I can think of a dumb enough comment to match what you did,lmfao :P:P:P

Atleast it was a easy and cheap fix.

A certain member who shall remain nameless (malcolm) spent a considerable time floating around with a motor that would not start at the 2007 flathead hunt down the Pin. When he finally put it in neutral everything seemed to be hunky dory :lol::lol:

I only tell that story so Ricko knows what to look for after he checks that kill switch when the motor wont start next week :P :woohoo: :silly:

Archived