New to Vegas

Peter.T

Hello everyone,

My name is Pete, i moved to Bris abit over a year ago from Bundaberg and have just bought a boat about 2 weeks ago. I havnt been out in the bay yet but am very keen, i think i will launch from the ramp at the port ( I think its whyte island not sure tho). I was wondering how shallow does it get heading out through the channel markers on low tide and is there a sand bar heading out to the bay to watch out for? If anyone is heading out from here and wouldnt mind me tagging along for the first trip that would be great, need to put something in the boat as the misses has the record atm with a 67cm salmon ;) .

Look forward to hearing more great reports and maybe might be able post one of my own :dry:

Thanks Pete

Hey Pete

Below is a shot of Google earth. If you stick to the channel markers as Jeff said you can get out southern side at low tide. Be careful not to stray as there are very shallow mud flats either side if the channel. Mud flats shown in blue. Easier way depending on your boat size would be out through the mouth of the brissy river.

If it is you first time in the bay just note that it is a pretty shallow body of water and there are things to watch out for. Beacon to Beacon is a good idea and maybe scout where you are heading on Google earth before hand

post-7418-14459880824_thumb.jpg

as it will give you a good idea of the banks and drop offs to watch out for and to fish.

Good Luck Ted

Hey Peter, Welcome to AFO ....

You will find a great bunch of guys and girls on this site prepared to help if you put in the effort. Not hard to fish the bay just follow Ted's advice and you cant go too far wrong.

I'm relatively new to Brisbane as well but I have ventured out in to the bay a few times now and I'm more than happy for you to follow me out next time I go if your keen.

Clint

Thanks for the advise everyone really appreciated

Crazywalrus thanks for drawing that map for me i went down the ramp on the weekend and could only see so far, i thought i would have to motor out a bit before cutting across thanks again!

Snaggers that would be great pm sent

Archived