Bass Closed Season Thread ?

elops

From the Recreational fishing rules and regulations for Queensland

"Why do we have closed seasons ?

Closed seasons (regulated periods) prevent people from taking a particular species at certain times of the year. This protects these species at vulnerable times in there lifecycle, such as during spawning seasons."

There have been numerous empirical scientific studies on the effects of handling and capture on pre spawning Percichthyids. One fairly extensive one on Australian Bass being The effects of angling on post-release mortality, gonadal developement and somatic condition of Australian Bass Macquaria novemaculeata. Hall, Broadhurst, Butcher and Rowland 2010.

A quick search will find the abstract for this if anyone is interested

A brief synopsis of this study which only had female fish to stage 3-maturing.

Immediate mortality <5%, delayed mortality 25%

"The mean percent of atretic oocytes increased among females of all groups, but was significantly greater in those that were harshly angled."

Atresia is the degeneration and loss of an anatomical structure, usually said of ovarian follicles or eggs that may be absorbed.

"The results demonstrated that the gonadal developement of M. novemaculeata could be suppressed or impaired (by angling,handling or confinement), and that further reasearch is warranted. In particular the timing and severity of angling in relation to the stage of gonadal developement could have important implications for the temporal restriction of angling."

This study DID NOT include any Stage 4-Mature or Stage 5-Ripe fish.

From my own and the experience of other people who culture catadromous fish at the later stages of maturity the effects would be significantly increased.

So what are you trying to tell us in plain english.

In as plain english as I can Dennis.

When you catch, handle, photograph etc Bass that are nearly or ready to spawn 5% die shortly after, 25% die some time after, the ones that dont die reabsorb their eggs and dont spawn. This is the reason we have the closed season, and the No Take legislation has the clauses it does to ensure that handling is at the bare minimum required to release any caught as BYCATCH.

When you catch, handle, photograph etc Bass that are nearly or ready to spawn 5% die shortly after, 25% die some time after, the ones that dont die reabsorb their eggs and dont spawn. This is the reason we have the closed season, and the No Take legislation has the clauses it does to ensure that handling is at the bare minimum required to release any caught as BYCATCH.

Now here is a real can of worms opened.

Would these mortality figures also apply to fish caught in the dams ( Exempted or otherwise)?

2 Options :-

A, Total closed season everywhere.

B. Seeing that 30% of the fish will die increase the bag limit and encourage people to eat more bass.

Hmmmmmm

Cheers

Ray

Steve does this implicate that it could be beneficial if the season closed earlier?

Cheers

Ray

Yes it does Ray, sure you have seen some of the other discussion on the dates ? should be May 1 to August 1 in SEQ. ie the large number of fish in the Salt in the Bremer this year in mid May not there enjoying the nightlife of Ipswich. Collected and spawned fish in May, Stage 5-Ripe fish ready to go.

Now here is a real can of worms opened.

Would these mortality figures also apply to fish caught in the dams ( Exempted or otherwise)?

2 Options :-

A, Total closed season everywhere.

B. Seeing that 30% of the fish will die increase the bag limit and encourage people to eat more bass.

Hmmmmmm

Cheers

Ray

Impoundments are put and take the fish are there to be taken. No shortage of them in there. Probably best to take your 2 if they are gravid. Wont go any further into your can of worms lol

Great info Steve.

I know 100% of the people will never see eye to eye on this...

But I think some of the information you have provided goes a long way towards answering the question and squashing the excuse of "but I was only catch and releasing".

In addition, on the subject of targeting other species and "accidently catching bass" (depsite the majority of the time being the dominent species in the water) there are just so many places to fish give the bass streams a break for the betterment of future open seasons.

In regards to comments like "but there are good bream and flathead there as well... This irks me even more as this is indicative of brakish into saltwater where the bass are not "maybe" but "certainly" spawning. These areas should be the most avoided!

I dont always engage in this style of debate as its often fueled by passion one way or the other. However with the inclusion of hard science (thanks Steve) and well educated assumption I thought I would throw in my two cents.

Angus

Archived