Bass Closed Season Thread ?

elops

Probably a stupid question but when I use to fish for bass in NSW there were no closed season... But is it illegal to fish for bass near lowood? I doubt this would be tidal water and therefore brackish water for them to spawn in...

Thanks in advance.

A closed season applies to Australian bass throughout Queensland from 1 June to 31 August except in and from waterways upstream of Baroon Pocket, Bjelke-Petersen, Boondooma,Borumba,Cania, Cressbrook, Fred Haigh (Lake Monduran),Gordonbrook,Hinze, Lenthalls, Maroon, Moogerah, NorthPine,Somerset,Wuruma and Wivenhoe dams; Claude Wharton and Jones weirs; Isis Balancing Storage (Lake Gregory) and Clarendon, Dyer (Bill Gunn Dam) and MacDonald lakes.

Sorry muttang, Lowood is a no go along with downstream of all the other dams listed and any Qld waterways that don't have a dam on them.

I have no plans on fishing for bass any time soon, so let me re-word my question. I have seen people fishing at youngs crossing over the last week, are there actually idiots out there who use the sari technique ad get away with it? I am assuming that wouldnt fly with fisheries

You can fish wherever you like in the fresh water as the rule book says but you are not allowed to target or take bass, and that means they must be released immediately

you can not take pictures

you can not hold it up to show your mate

you can not measure it

if you catch a bass by mistake you must not cast back into that same spot

These are all classed as targeting or taking bass.

Page 13 of the rule book rec fishing tells you you can fish for other species and if you ring DPI they will confirm the rest.

In answer to the above question yes you can fish at Youngs X or any other stream its not closed waters its closed bass season. If you are fishing in other waters you had better be sure there are other species in there.

If you were flicking lures in a stream that had bass,catfish, gar and mullet I dont think they would beleive you were not targeting bass.

The word is that 8 people have been booked for having bass in possession below NPD since the season closed. This figure was as of last Wednesday and was given to me at the PRFMA meeting.

Fisheries apparently keeping their eyes on known areas in SEQ.

Cheers

Ray

IMO, anyone casting lures downstream form NPD to Sweenys Reserve is targeting bass no matter what they say.

Sure there are other species there but bass are the most prevalent so that's your most likely catch.

Same as for bait especially live shrimps, prawns or yabbies.

Good to know fisheries are booking low lives!!

Thats a bit rough Luke, Sweenies up to the yak ramp has some good bream and flattie spots. Also a nice deep Jew hole.
Agree with you, plus what about the Dad who has no idea on fishing rules who takes his Son out for a fish with the gear he got for Birthday? I doubt they are going after bass, more likely its called whatever will bite on the hook.

Well at least there are no blatant posts/reports being posted anymore.

Probably still get the odd BS report featuring a couple of bream or a yella with no mention of the Bass that were caught and were actually the intended target, some people just cant help themselves.

Thats a bit rough Luke, Sweenies up to the yak ramp has some good bream and flattie spots. Also a nice deep Jew hole.

Agree with you, plus what about the Dad who has no idea on fishing rules who takes his Son out for a fish with the gear he got for Birthday? I doubt they are going after bass, more likely its called whatever will bite on the hook.

same as the guy who wants to start any new sport... he finds out about the equipment to be used and he finds out about the rules.

In todays world there is not to many activities that do not have rules/regulations governing the activity,so the 'I didn`t know' is not a let off the hook defence

agree with Gad, you don't go out and buy your kid a bike and let them loose without assuming there are laws pertaining to that. Fishing, shooting, golf, archery, etc. All have some form of law you must abide by. Other sports have rules, perhaps not laws, you play by.

Amen to that, your typical bogun tosser who buys his kid a motorbike then wonders why he is in trouble for letting the kid ride it around the neigbourhood, or neighbours call cops because of the noise as junior does 500 laps of the back yard. Then whinges there is no where for his kid to ride the bike, instead of thinking, maybe I should have thought about where junior might actually be able to use it before I bought it?

But getting way off topic here.

It is amazing the number of people whom do not know the law, but insist they do, and spout it at every chance, was at a fishing club do the other day when the old, "the fish is above a weir you can fish for them" line was run out. The bloke was adamant he was right. When politely told only in the named impoundments in the regs book, he got most offended, and told me I didn't know what I was talking about.

My point is missed- while rules do need to be applied and people should be aware of them a parent taking his son out fishing for the first time does not go out and say, "Oh I am going to illegally catch bass in the closed season today mwahahahahaha". If they catch anything it is probably luck not deliberate targeting and the choice of location is probably for ease or because it seems like a nice place with some shade to sit under while the kid fishes not because it is a prime bass spot. While some of us may be experts in fishing and know a lot about it and all the ins and outs of it, not everyone does so it is a bit unfair to claim if they are fishing that water it is for illegal purposes.

Well at least there are no blatant posts/reports being posted anymore.

Probably still get the odd BS report featuring a couple of bream or a yella with no mention of the Bass that were caught and were actually the intended target, some people just cant help themselves.

There is currently a post on another site about bass targeted and caught on closed waters and to make matters worse the site owner congratulates the person on his catch.

The other remarks about people not knowing the rules has about the same validity as someone driving at 200kph the wrong way up a one way street because they dont know the rules.

Cheers

Ray

Good guess.

Below is copy of post that I put on S.W, AFO.And Aus fish last year nothing has changed since then, Kurwongbah, Ewan Maddock,Caboolture Weir and Clear Island Waters are all closed season for bass.

Cheers

Ray

Catch and release bass during closed season???? Qld.

Postby rayke1938 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:59 pm

This subject was recently raised on another forum with the statement it was ok.

I had previously sought a ruling from DEEDI on this subject on 2009 and they stated it was not allowed.

As a result of this thread on the other forum I once again referred the matter to Deedi .

I have just been speaking to Tony Ham re this subject after emailing DEEDI re this issue. He has also sent me a reply in writing that is is nor legal to target bass during closed even if it is only for catch and release purposes.He has given me permission to publish this email.

Here is his response.

Cheers

Ray

"Ham, Tony" < Tony.Ham@deedi.qld.gov.au>

Add sender to Contacts

To:

rayke1938@yahoo.com.au

Ray,

I am replying to your enquiry regarding fishing for bass during the closed season.

The original definition that was sent from Anita Ramage is still correct regarding take and I have pasted it here…

This is the definition of “take†as stated in the Fisheries Act 1994

take fisheries resources includes—

(a) catch, gather, kill or obtain from water or land; and

(B) attempt to catch, gather, kill or obtain from water or land; and

© land (from a boat or in another way), bring ashore or tranship.

You will notice that attempting to catch fish is included in the definition of take and therefore my understanding is that if someone is attempting to take a species of fish during a closed season they would be in breech of the regulation.

There is no restriction on fishing for other species during any closed season, however incidental catches of bass (in this instance) must be immediately returned to the water, unharmed.

The closed season for bass does not apply in certain impoundments and bass from these waters may be taken and retained as per usual.

I hope this is of some assistance and should you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Tony Ham

Manager Recreational Fisheries, SIPS and Fishcare

Industry Development

No doubt that Kurwongbah, Ewen Maddock, and Atkinsons (another overlooked impoundment that should be included on the exempt list)should be on the list. They will be when when the current RIS is completed and the Freshwater Management Plan is reviewed. No chance of CIW ever getting on the list Bass can move at will.

Archived