Modified Jig Heads

Tim a

Good day

Today I was sick and at home and was very bored so I thought 'hmm flathead aparently like bright colours... Normal jigheads are usualy grey... PAINT THEM!'

I know you can buy coloured jigheads but there not very common and are usually crap quality so why not make your own?

To make mine I got a few of my tt jigheads, a couple of my tins of paint, a paint brush and if you want to some 3D eyes to glue on using a glue gun.

Simply paint your jigheads using the paint (Model paint is the best for this as it dosnt get washed off in water). Then I also used some enamel over them for extra protection. After waiting for them to dry I got the glue gun nice and hot and put a small dab of glue on each side and put the eyes . SIMPLE! As for colours I'm trying red on one and a cream and black combination on the other.

As for wether it works or not we'll have to wait for the weekend to test

I use Wilson coloured jig heads, got a swag of them at Amart during their last sale. Two problems with them, -

1. The hook eye is often covered over with paint, so I have to use an old hook to clean it out

2. The different sizes only come in one colour for the size, IE the 1/8th's are all yellow, the 5/16ths are all black.

Painting your own is a good idea, The other option you have is to use dipping plastic, which I used to get from Repco to do tool handles. It is a liquid plastic that you just dip what ever you want coated into and let it set. If you want the coating thicker. dip several times, allowing to dry between dips.

Archived