River 11/8/7 - Dan's first keeper snap

ellicat

Went to test out the new prop today. Some 400 meters from the ramp I’d discovered that it worked, so slowed down and prospected a fishing spot for about an hour with no luck.

So motored a little further down and found a likely looking spot. Nothing happening after about 10 minutes and I sensed there was a bit of whinge in the air so I gave a quick fishing education lesson to the family about being patient when you’re fishing. This saw three out of four rods go into the holders and another stress smoke for me.

About one minute later the fishing god then supported my patience argument and I had a hit. Pulled in a Pike Eel a little over a metre. The enthusiasm levels had risen and I was deciding whether to risk bringing him onboard to save for shark bait when Dan (who’s 8) had a good hit on his rod. Took a bit of line from him and then he got it back a bit, then a bit of to and fro. Then after some pumping and winding like a seasoned pro he brought up a nice thick 45cm squire. Yee haa!

So everyone wound in and cast to that spot while I attended to releasing the eel. It’d managed to lassoo the line around it’s snout and bent the crap outta my hook too. But with a quick shake with the pliers it was gone. I know where it went too – straight to tell the other squire to be careful. Not another touch for the rest of the day.

Ran into Mike and Darren from Coorparoo Marine at the ramp and was happy to report to them that the new prop they’d put on for me was all sweet.

Won’t be getting out again now until the Noosa trip – can’t wait.

[img size=461]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Dan_Snap_Vid_shot_1.JPG

Post edited by: ellicat, at: 2007/08/12 00:18

post-564-144598424098_thumb.jpg

congratulations Dan!

Ellicat, its always the great debate for me, do I take the family, or do I go fishing? :)

Coz if the tribes along fishing is the last thing I will be doing. If the fish are biting I am chief deckie, never get a line in the water, just baiting and releasing. If the fish are not biting, I am chief referee breaking up the fights and amusing bored children, once again never get a line in the water!

Rocket75 wrote:

Nice fish that.

Perhaps I am a bit weird :silly: but I enjoy watching other people catch fish almost as much as catching them myself!

Did it go in the pan?

Looks to be in good condition.

Rod

I'm the same Rod, I enjoy taking people out and watching them catch.

In Tassie I took lots of people (on different occasions) to a secret little stream and helped them catch their first Trout.

The looks on their faces where priceless and to share their experiance was an honor.

Thanks for the replies guys. Agrree with all the comments. Dan was pretty stoked and I must admit to sharing a fair bit of his stokededness:blink: (new word)

Feral, I know exactly what you're saying. The families pretty good usually but the last few trips haven't produced too well, so enthusiasm was dropping. Before the river we did two sessions chasing flatties at the Pin which is a tough task with four on board:S . I've been told we wont be heading to the Pin again for a while.

I've not fished the river since I was a teenager, but the river fishers on this site have certainly got me interested again.

Archived