Uncommon Catch

Cowfish13

On sunday, we were over at Curtains reef to get nothing. But then we went to a beacon where we had seen some big Batfish and Kingies and we caught this little Red Emperor.

Is this common to the area? We didn't think so, especially as it is winter.

Funny thing was that there was the whole Curtains Artificial Reef, yet he chose to live near a beacon. [img size=375]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Red_emperer_1_AFO.jpg

post-320-144598424208_thumb.jpg

Ps: After the pics (less than 15 seconds) he was released unharmed and we saw him power down the 20m he came from. The water was remarkably clear. Also, if you look in the background of the 2nd pic, you can see how flat the water was. That is over on the north western end of moreton (near Curtains reef). About 3km's from the island.

I wasn't saying that they are rare, but it is our first, caught in the middle of a very cold winter (fish kills) and next to a beacon rather than on the main reef.

Would you rather I change the topic name to \"Uncommon Catch for Us\". :P . But seriously, do you get them often around brisbane. I would have thought them to be a more northern species. ie Hervy Bay and up.

Post edited by: Cowfish13, at: 2007/08/13 20:50

Archived