Tweed River Fishing Spots

pepe66

I am going down the coast for the weekend and staying near the Tweed River. I will be putting the boat in at Chinderah and was wondering if there were any spots that people know of where I should head for. If nothing else I will have to just try lots of spots and hope for the best.

try the barneys point bridge and fish the north end and western side of the bridge there are aheap of oyster covered boulders, some cliff and bridge pillons to throw a lure or bait at. if you go downstream a litle further you'll find a mangrove lined bay only fishable from half tide up but always good for flattys. or you could try floating for ludrick with weed along just about any rock wall from there to the mouth

try those smaller anchovie sized pilchiards. I've had luck shore based in the tweed with halving them, running the hook through the eye and back through the body for the head and for the tail part doing a similar thread through. Using two rods one with a smaller bream hook and no leader and one with heavy leader and a larger hook seems to give good results. Have had luck with getting bigger bream and flatties like this and the piilies don't come off as easily as prawns. As for spots look for the sand banks where water is running over them and fish the drop offs nearby. Good luck.

I live local & fish the Tweed river at least once a week. There is plenty of bream, getting the good size ones thats the challenge at the moment.

I also caught a taylor across from tweed hospital last week. It gets a little busy on the weekends but nowhere like the Gold Coast.

All the spots above are all good to fish. I like to fish on the turn of tide incoming with berley.

You can pump yabbies on low tide on sandy banks near the golf course. Lets us know how you go, you maybe able to tell me some good spots.

Archived