Side Console or Centre Console? And Why?

BASSTURD

mate my next 1 will be a centre console as for me it suits my style of fishing with the ability to walk around the deck when fishing the bay and if your fishing out side but if you are just fishing the dams and rivers a side console will be your best bet.

Thats my 2 cents worth good luck

i guess they are just to different styles of boat obviously, i like the centre console boat for the high sides and having the ability/security when tackle a decent fish, but i love the side console so you can sit down with someone next to you and also an awesome cast deck with the minn kota.

Prefer a tiller steer myself, have a poly same as the one your pic with etec tiller. Can drive it standing up if I need to see,standing up hands free to fight/chase fish, clear deck all round to cast/fish from. Save weight and more space.

how have you found your poly? they look like a great boat..?

I've just picked up a 4.5 side console and I couldn't be happier. One of the main reasons for this was as a family boat I have quite a few seat positions to use and it is very well balanced. Fishing is easy and the small console on the side doesn't get in the way at all.

I am 6'2 and 130kgs and have been out myself and balance isn't an issue at all suprisingly enough. I can even stand on the sides with minimal roll.

It is a personal choice though and not everyone is of the same opinion. I was going to get a centre console but decided against it because of the above reasons and it doesn't suit the majority of fishing we do.

Good luck with deciding.

Cheers,

Kane

What size boat are you looking at mate.

I have a 465 center console and i fish rivers bay n offshore. Just gotta pick your days.

Centerconsoles are good as they have alot of space and a plate centerconsole can cop bad weather well. Be prepared to get wet though.

My mates have side consoles and they love it too. They mainly fish river and bay though. Its good if you fish plastics alot of space in them.

Personally i cant imagine travelling through the bay in 15-20 knot winds in the bay in side console nor crossing a bar with one.

Centerconsoles good atleast yout standing up. You dont feel that much impact.

well im basically looking at spending upto $15,000.

and i am pretty much wanting an allrounder.

to hit the bay and estuaries.

floating baits, flicking plastics, hardbodies, trolling and cruising with the missus around.

im swinging towards centre consoles i am an inexperienced boaty/fisherman so i want to have the safety to attempt to cross bars and cop bad weather aswell.

I ended up with a Brooker 450 Adventurer ad paid $16,500 from Marine Tune down at Burleigh. Good guys and I can't fault the boat at all.

Shane is right thought it wouldn't handle the bay as well in rough conditions but would be a better estuary boat. Those are the trade offs imo.

I'll take you out sometime if you want to have a look at my boat.

Kane.

Personally i cant imagine travelling through the bay in 15-20 knot winds in the bay in side console nor crossing a bar with one.

Centerconsoles good atleast yout standing up. You dont feel that much impact.

I have had my 4.5m side console well past 30km offshore crossed countless bars and been caught out in moreton bay in terrible conditions and its not too bad in chop, i would place it against most centre consoles its size.anything past 15kn wind and i get wet though. i think side consoles are better balanced boats. most times you fish 2 people in a boat which makes them better IMO.

i can stand up behind the console in mine and also sit with awesome comfort in any weather.

just dont buy a tinny any expect a dry boat they never will be. anythign too choppy and you WILL get wet, regardless of centre/side console.

my advice is pick what you like and what you think the best to fish from. i think that more important than the ride... after all you bought the boat to fish from not for the driving pleasure.

thanks dunney well said, i just really cant get past the looks of the side console and the sitting behind the steering wheel. i just think it would make for a bit of fun if i chose to take it out just for a day with the missus and cruise around to islands and muck around.

im really loving the Angla Pro's.

My mate has this boat http://www.allisonboats.com.au/showroom/495-arafura-side-console/

and its a great bot of kit. I like that the helm station is off to the side and out of the way. Plenty of different seating options for where to put the crew and drives just as well and centred with only the skipper sitting off to one side.

and this one is only 2 times outta my price range lol. i wish i had that much to spend.

I purchased a stessco 452 renegade side console, this boat suited my needs perfectly. i have been in a 27knt chop in the southern bay and the boat rode beautifully and was quite dry. i found with the side console and the seating options it allows me plenty of room to drag my butt around the boat and the stability is great. I tried a center console before i purchased mine but the space each side of the console restricted my movement in the boat. i have had the boat out by myself and also with 1 or 2 deckies and have never had a problem with ride or weight distribution. But this boat suits my needs for accessibility and i had to look long and hard to find the right one. You need to know what your primary use for the boat will be and research what is available in your budget.

Cheers

Ray

Archived