Tailor in surf

Aaron H

Hi guys,

Heading up to Sunshine coast this weekend and hopefully get a chance to tackle some surf Tailor. I have caught plenty of Tailor on unweighted ganged hooks in the harbours of Brisbane on unweighted pilachards but was wondering the best rigs in the surf. Is arunning sinker or a fixed sinker the best in the surf, I will be using ganged hook pillies any help would be greatly appreciated guys

Try the Lazer or Knight (bishop) metal slugs around the 35g mark. They work great. I use pillies first and if I know theres a heap around I'll change over to the slugs. They also save you from putting bait on your hooks if there is a school out there ;)

Cheers, Mick.

id say a running sinker is better then a fixed sinker... mainly because more wrapps/knots can weaken the line (if you are securing a running sinker) and also its not always healthy for your line if you squash down a a split shot sinker onto your line...

also its less hassel with a running sinker, you just thread it on... with a stationery sinker u ethier have to crimp it down, wrap the line through a few times or tie it off...

i have caught a few tailor on soft plastics... they are an extremely good fighter on light line and lures... though they do bite you off quite often if your leader isnt heavy enough... maybe 10lb minimum for ganged pillies id say

troy

Exactly the same rig, unweighted pilchard.I use a metal trace, 30cm premade is heaps.

If you cant get the bait out far enough, then use a running sinker above the metal trace. I Use those snap lock ones, so that when they come on the chew you can just unsnap the caught fish if hooked deep and snap on another gang with bait already on quick. When they come on the chew, 15 minutes is about it, so you dont wqant to be mucking about with hook extractors etc, also you may lose you spot in the que if theres lots of fishos there.

Archived