For all Newbies Beacon to Beacon

Oztrav

Dont know if everyone is aware of the existance of the Beacon to Beacon.

It is put out by maritime Safety Qld and is a marine refidex of the entire coast from Gladstone to Northern NSW plus all the stocked impoundments in between.

Has its own safety section showing smooth and partially smooth waters, lists safety equipment required for all areas and what is required for different size hulls.

Shows navigation channels and boat ramps.

In the freshwater section it tells you the local boating regs on all dams,location of ramps,location and contact number of camping grounds,contact number of local stocking group, what species are in the dam,what permits you need.

The latest issues come in their own waterproof envelope and cost $35 at most newsagents.

If you dont have one have a browse of one in the newsagents and I am certain you will buy one.

I keep an older one in the boat and a new one in the house.

Ray

Yer it is top gun mate, i could not get by without it especially not knowing the waters that well, but have also been told that in some areas if you follow it it could be a bit off course not sure if this is true just heard in some areas it could run you onto a sand bank, just wondering if anyone else haas heard of this... as far as i know i have not had any problems so far. cross my fingers

• 2 years later...

Old Scaley wrote:

Only problem with it is the waterproof envelope is too small and splits soon after purchase if you open it a few times.. Maybe just the one I have?

I photocopy the page map(s) I need and leave the book home and take the photocopy(s) in the clear envelope.

You can also pick up spare or another large clear zip envelopes at Big W or K-Mart in the stationary section.

cheers

Archived