Short sesh this morning

51MPL

Just a quick report, went for a flick this morning with a mate to try and get him his first lure caught fish. However this is what greeted us:

post-5277-144598881755_thumb.jpg

Pretty lumpy out there especially for someone who's only experience on the water is in the comfort of a big P&O cruise ship.

Ok onto the fishing - I had a 4" Damiki Ripper rigged up (oxblood i think or smoke red) hopping it along a dropoff when I felt my line go tight. I assumed I'd hopped my jighead into a hole so grabbed the spool and went to pop the line when it shot out to the left and before i could let go of the spool to give it some room to run the line snapped. Not a perfect start but at least there was something chewing down there.

5 minutes later my mate's stopped fishing and is complaining of being tired, I could see him yawning constantly and thought he might be getting sea-sick so I told him to just let me know when he wants to go home and we'll shoot back.

As we continue our drift I'm getting small taps here and there til a fish grabs the ripper on the drop and takes off. Up pops a 36 pinkie :)

post-5277-144598881767_thumb.jpg

post-5277-144598881775_thumb.jpg

post-5277-144598881784_thumb.jpg

After this my mate is well and truly green - he's lying on the deck trying to get some shut eye when another squire takes off with my ripper and the sound of the drag wakes him up. Plastic was completely gone with only the jighead left so no piccy of that one.

Headed for home after that, on the water for around 30-45mins and managed two keepers, lost one and a few bites.

Fresh fish for Mum

post-5277-144598881797_thumb.jpg

The view as we left for home.

post-5277-144598881806_thumb.jpg

Thankyou :)

Haha looks like im too nice then :P

Lance - first time using them this morning and no problems thus far. Both hookups had the hool set firmly and no way the fish were getting off.

Dell - lol yep, might have got a ginger and mate wouldnt have got sick but would have been hard for him to cast accurately.

Haha looks like im too nice then :P

Lance - first time using them this morning and no problems thus far. Both hookups had the hool set firmly and no way the fish were getting off.

Dell - lol yep, might have got a ginger and mate wouldnt have got sick but would have been hard for him to cast accurately.

Thanks Khoi

It is a bit hard to tell from your pics as they swallowed them so deep but I thought they were caught on my new jig heads.

Everyone using them so far is kicking ass with them which is great.

Where is this place ?
Those sort of questions generally don't get a lot of responses here mate, half the fun is doing your own exploring :)

That's not really the truth Surfingant..

Fishnuts,I too have only in the past 6 months started fishing the bay and Brisbane and I have a heap of GPS marks and knowledge I have been passed on that I am more then happy to share.

Thanks to some of the more sharing members on AFO I have done quite well in the short time I have been fishing SE QLD and say thanks to guys like Cobiaattic, snapper trapper, Richard7785, Shane69 and so on.

Kane

Where is this place ?
Those sort of questions generally don't get a lot of responses here mate, half the fun is doing your own exploring :)

I am sorry wont be asking anymore questions if its the wrong thing to do

:(

No sorry mate I probably came off a bit harsh there and I wasn't trying to be, I just always try and encourage people to explore for themselves and find their own spots. Of course you can ask questions :)

Where is this place ?

I am sorry wont be asking anymore questions if its the wrong thing to do

:(

Not the wrong thing to do but personally i try to keep it like ettiquete and not ask, or just ask generap vicinty to get an idea. This all stems from selfish individuals with no intentions of sustainability who endeavour to rape and pillage a spot til nothing remains.

In no way shape or form am i accusing you of this fishnuts just being a little cautious is all. Sorry if im not of much help but like ant said - the fun is in exploring and trying to find new spots other people havent been in the hopes of landing that fish of a lifetime.

Any questions feel free to ask away, technique based etc ill help you out where i can.

Lol khoi you need to stop looking at willy weather to go out in bay. Check out for wind warnings before going out lol.

You guys did well but man you gotta learn how to fish the river lol.

Why would you go mud to catch squire. Rivers full of them.

Put in bit more effort in river and you will be suprised what the river holds ;)

Shane

All through winter tried river shaneo, hardly any luck even though put so much time in. I dont have a good sounder either so makes it lil bit harder to find bait etc.

Only caught 35-40s :(

My sounder ant all that either i just learnt how to use it properly.

You got upper hand by having an electric. I have to drift around and fish.

Its just presistance in the river. Put in the effort, fish your tides and youl find what time the fish come on bite most.

I went yesterday arvo in the river and got 8 snaps around 50-55 mark. That wasnt around mouth either it was in the river. It was hard staying on fish coz of wind but we did okay. They were on chew hard for 30 min.

All fish came off Zman minnowz 3" pearl blue glimmer and smokey shad on 3/8 and 1/2 jigheads slow rolled off bottom.

I got a big cat fish on a tn60 which was a first. He went hard i thought i hooked a big jew lol

I did use that little pink damiki amor shad for a bit in arvo around the rock wall. I caught a bream on it. Didnt use it again after lol.

We also got a octopus that grabbed a small squire on the way up. I cant wait to take him offshore and put a hook on him and send him down :whistle:

If you want to catch good fish in river use bigger plastics.Thats what works for use. Most of fish we caught have being at the bottom too.

Archived