Mackrel Lures - Moreton bay

Miller 197

Hey guys, :cheer:

Thought id pick your brains on the topic of lures. With the weather heating things up we have started chasing some mackrel/tuna around the bay. We have been using raiders simular to the one in the picture (about 10cm long) in the pink and blue colours and getting a couple but not many. We troll around as well as fish anchord.

What sort/style/size lures have been used to catch these fish or am i on the right track. Does anyone find much difference between using trebble hooks vs one single hook at the end of the lure?

Also I have heard nothing but good things about skirted lures.. is this something that i should be looking into? and if so which sort/style/size before i get something thats totally wrong :P

Thanks! :woohoo:

chris

post-11621-144598885197_thumb.jpg

So do you reckon the divers have a better chance over the metal slugs and spoons ?

yes and no... all depends on how they are feeding.

take spanyards... sometime they will only hit our skirts and not the divers when trolling outside.

i personally have caught 1000's of mackeral in the bay as they are a main bait i use for sharks. the best i have found is anchor up on a beacon and spin with slugs and spoons.

mackerel can be very picky at time so if you do troll with divers, put out a few different sizes and colours out.

I agree Mad mullet........

i have been out up here and alll the hit is gar and nothing else.......... and the next day they will be just bitting hard bodys

however once you have all that sorted and find out what they are biting the rest is easy.......... they can be a fussy fish at times..... they are good fun though going to try and catch some on sunday

Dont forget to take some pilchards with you to as you can throw lures at them all day but pillies can clean up on them like Kurt has said bay mackerel love the beacons especially the ones over against moreton island anchor up and float and sink some pillies back and start throwing slugs but take a full size range with you because they may only feed on a certain size bait all day

Archived