My albright knots keep slipping

FishoDave

Hey everyone

I just came home from my first lure flick in probably 12 months (uni is a bitch) and after about an hour I busted off on a snag. I pulled my line in and it was the albright knot that gave way. I remembered how to tie the knot and commenced attempting to tie it. I used the braid as the loop and threaded the leader through it. Every time I tried to pull it tight the leader would slip out. Could this be because of the lines or something I've done. I did the whole make the loop with braid, thread the leader through, wrap around the tag of the braid and back through the loop the same way it went in. Has anyone else had this sort of experience and can help me?

I'm using 6lb fireline and 4lb yamatoyo flurocarbon leader if that makes any difference.

Hope you can shed some light, cheers

some leader material or flouro carbon dont like knots....no grab but if you still use the same knot and just twist it a few more times it shouldnt be an issue...thats what i do......i usually count to 16 twists...8 up , 8 back then tighten....always wet your knot area so it slides a bit easier and usually ill hold onto both lengths of braid and pull my leader then vice versa with the leader....hope this helps!

By the sounds of it your problem is that you have made a slight mistake when tying the knot. As you can see in the post above, the thin line is being wrapped around the thicker line – the thin line being the braid and the thick line being the leader material. Looping the leader material instead of the braid might be a good idea. This way, when you pull the knot the braid will lock onto the fluorocarbon and shouldn't slip when you pull it. When you loop the leader, fold over the section of leader where the braid will slide up against when the knot is pulled tight, this further prevents slippage. An improved Albright is a good option as Ant suggested. You could also try attaching your leader to a double, but it is up to personal preference on what works for you at the end of the day. I use a regular Albright attached to a double and I have complete confidence in that.

Hi Dave,

Not sure if you solved the problem yet but I was having exactly the same problem a while back so changed to a knot called "slim beauty" and never looked back. They claim that it tests close to 100% of the line's breaking strain. I decided to test it out and found that the line would break my braid and I was left with my leader with the knot still in tact, defiantly no slipping! :)

/>http://www.animatedknots.com/slimbeauty/index.php

Hope this helps you out

Hi

I would also give up on the albright knot and use a slim beauty.

I do a variation of the slim beauty where I start of with the double overhand knot in the leader to get the figure 8, then after threading the braid through the figure 8 (I don't double it as per the vid above, good luck doing that with light leader) I then simply tie a 5 wrap uni knot. Has never slipped. I think that variant is called a Kaneit Knot and I find it is a bit easier to manage.

I guess we all have an opinion, but find what you are confident with and can tie in the wind, poor light etc.

Andrew

Hi

I would also give up on the albright knot and use a slim beauty.

I do a variation of the slim beauty where I start of with the double overhand knot in the leader to get the figure 8, then after threading the braid through the figure 8 (I don't double it as per the vid above, good luck doing that with light leader) I then simply tie a 5 wrap uni knot. Has never slipped. I think that variant is called a Kaneit Knot and I find it is a bit easier to manage.

I guess we all have an opinion, but find what you are confident with and can tie in the wind, poor light etc.

Andrew

Just thought I would add, I use yamatoyo 4lb leader a lot and it should not slip often, it usually breaks at the lure if tied well, thumbs up for the kaneit knot it is perfect for fireline and that join, and also a simple double uni would probably be fine too. The improved albright and slim beauty works better on true braided lines I think.

For light lines (6lb or lower) i just start with the granny knot but loop it through 4 times.

Thats it. Never let me down and i have hooked some big fish and the line always goes before the knot. (worst case)

Just make sure the two lines pull together neatly.

Saw it on you tube but i cannot find the video to give a link :( but realy quick and effective.

Your not running the line through the loop left at the end in the opposite direction to the line going through from the start. It will just pull through if you dont.

Also check your tip runner. I had a similar issue and my tip runner had a crack which was wearing through the albright causing it to fail.

post-11051-144598885385_thumb.jpg

Archived