Still looking for a 4wd

robin

Hi guys/girls,

I'm still looking for a 4wd, looking at all the reviews, and have come across one of the new Xtrail auto, it says it's a 4wd, altho there is no low range gear in it.

Is this 4wd any good, what I am wanting it for it mostly beach driving, maybe a little dirt, but I don't think I will be doing hard core 4wd'ing.

My X-trail has been alright on the beach, but can be tough inland where deep rivets have been dug out by larger vehicles.

My inlaws are about to sell a Prado in fantastic nick that has never been on the beach (in other words suffering no degrading salt etc may cause).

PM me if you are interested in more info.

Angus

You don't need low range too often on the beach but when you do need it you can't do with out it. My BiL had an earlier xtrail and when worked hard on the beach the auto 4x4 bit would over heat and shut down and all you can do is wait the once cool it would go again but over heat more quickly. He never bought an other one, he has a Mitsubishi dual cab now and loves it

What year model xtrail? seems the older ones dont have as much ground clearance as the newer models. My mate has a BT50 and I don't know how many times he's left a big drag mark on the sand from his rear dif on inland tracks. Depending on what model xtrail you will have less clearance than the bt50s.

Probably wont have too much problem with inland tracks, unless its been quite dry for a while and the tracks rutted out. I reckon the biggest problem will be those little patches getting on and off the beach.

Spots where you'll likely want both clearance and low range.

Robin, really depends on your motives mate. Brand New vs 2nd Hand is always your own personal and financial choice.

No one will ever convince me that buying brand new makes financial sense. The ROI makes them a terrible 'investment' choice. As they say, that brand-new-car smell is one of the most expensive thing you can buy.

Particularly if you start flogging it up and down the beach. Better to rust out a $10-15k car than a $50k car (or however much the x-trail is)

Financially you're likely to be better off buying one 5 years old (or older if you can handle) and investing the difference.

Used cars will also have other people that have flogged that model to buggery (don't buy those peoples cars, try and stick to one thats been looked after). The point there though is that the pros and cons of the car have already been worked out for you. A simple bit of research can tell you its strengths and weaknesses. Buying new, you can be one of those guinea pigs doing the testing :P

As Scott Pape (The Barefoot Investor) always says - buy the cheapest car your ego can afford.

Hey mate as others have said you would get a heap more bang for you buck by buying something with maybe 50-100 000ks on the clock.

I just bought a ranger and couldn't be happier with it, it's perhaps not your all time 4x4 that will crawl up rock ledges and get you through canyons but for your average off road and beach excursion you'll be in extreeme comfort.

Think you'll find that the trails don't have the clearance you need for beach driving, you would be fine 90% of the time in a group as your have help but the one time you want to go out alone or away for a few days alone I think I would a pretty nervous feeling entering and editing the beach let alone the dune access tracks.

For the price of a new one you would get a seriously handsome 2 or 3 year old model something abit bigger that's got full service history and has been cared for meticulously !

Perhaps your not after a bigger car but just my 2 centz

Callum

• 2 months later...

So now I'm looking for 2nd hand car, as I have worked out that I will be loosing plenty of $$$ on a new car, I rather loose a few k then a few more K.

What do you think about with the 2007 Pajero vr-x ns, Petrol , I have seen it today and looks good, but not sure how it goes.

Mate I have a Xtrail there awesome 4wd is not a problem the diesel has a less towing capacity as the unleaded version XTrails are a wicked piece of kit.one thing you will notice is the steering is fully electric doesn't rely on a hydraulic pump that labours the engine ...very nice it's like driving a verado :lol:

When 4wd is engaged in my model it is full lock diffs performs as good as the patrol

I took the Mrs car shopping today and our short list became either a 2nd hand Outlander or X-trail. The price difference between new and 50 000km is a lot of money, and I am a tight arse at the best of times. I would be happy with a old falcon wagon, she certainly wouldn't.

The x-trail is a nicer car comfort-wise but the Outlander ticks all the same boxes and look to be at least 5k cheaper for similar appointment.

Still trying to talk her into a a proper 4wd, but they are "too big" so looks like our short list will stay as it is.

Archived