Fly Fly Fly Fly Fly Fishing !

Daviddddd

Hey guys & girls,

i purchase a fly combo awhile ago now actually, just lost with where to start, any pointers or good locations for mullet, trevally and more, would be nice. Im still after my very first fish on fly :(

i live around ipswich, so im keen to try anywhere nearby on land or else, i have two boats, so if it means skinny water fly fishing, i have a punt for the job, or else the bay and the seaway, i have a 4.3m boat, so im pretty wide open with choices to go. I just need the help in the right location, where its easy to get my very first bite :)

so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers David.

G'day David,

Do you have a boat? If you do get some surface flies and hit Maroon at dawn and dusk. Probably some cicada type patterns or Dahlberg Divers. Also as the sun comes up try some cray imitations around the weed. Bass are good on fly.

I've also heard that tilapia take fly as well, maybe burly up the water with bread soaked with with tuna oil then flick some bread flies into the trail.

I'm getting back into fly fishing after a 10year absence, and was planning on hitting the bream on the long weekend. I'll probably hit Maroon once the water goes down.

G'day David,

Do you have a boat? If you do get some surface flies and hit Maroon at dawn and dusk. Probably some cicada type patterns or Dahlberg Divers. Also as the sun comes up try some cray imitations around the weed. Bass are good on fly.

I've also heard that tilapia take fly as well, maybe burly up the water with bread soaked with with tuna oil then flick some bread flies into the trail.

I'm getting back into fly fishing after a 10year absence, and was planning on hitting the bream on the long weekend. I'll probably hit Maroon once the water goes down.

Hey Muzz, i do have a boat hey, so im pretty wide open with choices. I'm just clueless, as to where i should start lol, but i guess i could do a trip or two, to maroom, since its been ages. Im more afraid of casting lol, i think it will be my biggest challenge, getting use to it. Which part of maroon is biting thought? no secrets spot, but some good indicators would be sweet :)

Also Tomca, If i do head into coomera, imma get side track with the jacks lol, the last time i went, i did come across a whole heap of tarpons busting, we just couldnt land one, but my mate Nguyen did set hes hooks three time, and it kept jumping until it came off lol, awesome scenery though :)

What are your concerns with casting? Have you been able to cast a fly, say ten meters?

Also don't strike in the conventional way. You need to point the rod at the fly when retrieving and when a fish takes the fly pull the line, slowly bringing the rod tip up.

What are your concerns with casting? Have you been able to cast a fly, say ten meters?

Also don't strike in the conventional way. You need to point the rod at the fly when retrieving and when a fish takes the fly pull the line, slowly bringing the rod tip up.

okay, so i went out today muzz, i managed to practice casting, and it actually went further than i expect, but in saying that, distances wise, im not so good at judging hahaha. But yeah i dont wanna sound like im bragging or anything mate, but i seem to do alright lol. I think the next thing now, is practicing my cast for further distances, and how to move the fly for the right fish lol. Any idea on which flys for which fish and what retrieving for what fish? Also i forgot, i think i forgot to mention, its an 8 weight rod, what am i capable of catch on it?

An 8 weight should be good for bass flathead fish like that. It would also be good for flicking bigger more wind resistant flies like Dahlberg Divers. Also using a tapered leader would help in dropping the fly at the extent of the cast.

Good luck with it. It's can be a hard way to catch fish.

last time they were hitting anything I threw at them, but when fussy I put a clear 1.5" Slider paddle tail on a straight shank hook. Fly cheating I know, but it gets a bend in the rod.

Haha, classic. Tie a feather onto it and you can class it as a fly :P

David, if you can get the chance, you're welcome to come down to the club (see details in my sig line). We do casting almost every meeting night and have heaps of guys who can help you with technique.

One easy tip for casting a tight loop as taught by Rod Harrison is, "try and hit the tip of the rod with your fly". You won't but that will help you keep a straight line path which is critical to getting the most out of your cast.

Norm

David, if you can get the chance, you're welcome to come down to the club (see details in my sig line). We do casting almost every meeting night and have heaps of guys who can help you with technique.

One easy tip for casting a tight loop as taught by Rod Harrison is, "try and hit the tip of the rod with your fly". You won't but that will help you keep a straight line path which is critical to getting the most out of your cast.

Norm

Hey Norm, thanks for the generous offer, where abouts are you located? ill be quite interested in visiting :) Since im quite a nobbis when it comes to fly fishing lol. it will help me alot. Lol Rod Harrison is quite the genius, it makes alot of sense, and i will keep that in mind, and keep going at it!

Hey muzz, thanks again for the help. Certainly nextime that im out, my main goals are targetting bream close to shore around mud island. Ive managed to pick up bream in the shallow on hardbodies, so i think its going to be possible chance on flies lol, as for where i fish for bass, i dont think my casting is quite that experties yet, so ill keep practices for longer distances :) I do have a few Clousers, would you class that as bigger flies?

hmm i might have to search up "Dahlberg Divers" lol, not so sure what they are haha.

Cheers David

Club meets at AFL footy club at Stafford. Look for the details in this section. Next meeting is Thursday week 14th. I won't be there, heading to NZ for some trout :)

Norm. Send me a pm. with your email and I'll put you on the clubs mailing list

Cheer

Norm

Club meets at AFL footy club at Stafford. Look for the details in this section. Next meeting is Thursday week 14th. I won't be there, heading to NZ for some trout :)

Norm. Send me a pm. with your email and I'll put you on the clubs mailing list

Cheer

Norm

The old gaffers do not mind total noobs asking for tips on casting? I could use some myself!

Angus

Hahahaha ill get my Tweed in order.

I am heading to Scotland later in the year and the majority of places we are staying have water on them. Problem is a lot of them are fly only so I am considering trying my hand.

Angus

Take plenty of pounds with you,you have to pay for a rod licence,to fish that stretch of river and pay for a guide or gillie if required.

Archived