Caloundra Offshore

Terry H

Does anyone know how Caloundra is holding up at the moment? I'm just wondering about water clarity/flood water etc is like

Forecast doesn't look too bad for the weekend, better if the wind drops a little. If the water isn't too bad I was thinking of taking the kayak up and poking around offshore to see whats biting and whats not.

Although thinking I probably need to give it another week. :pinch:

mate i wouldn't be out there in the "real" boat this weekend... :sick:

forecast at the moment has swell at 3-3.5m, tomorrow it will be 2.5-3m and won't drop off a lot over the weekend. this is due due to the fetch of E/ENE gales generated by the big low near NZ which is not forecast to move very much for the next 2-3 days.

it actually fishes better out there with a little run off, fires up the grassies and alike on the bottom. not good for the top water stuff though.

As long as its clean, the kayaks are better suited to it.

We don't go fast, and don't have to slow down to a snails pace so that we don't get airborne. Afterall, we only move around at a snails pace to begin with :P

I've been out in 3-4m swells before (CLEAN). The ocean was flat, with enormous rolling hills. You'd just go from seeing the horizon and your mate in front of you, to seeing nothing but water.

Makes it harder to see pelagics a hundred metres away, but makes for great drifting - plenty of movement in that dead-sticked plastic. :)

As long as its clean, the kayaks are better suited to it.

We don't go fast, and don't have to slow down to a snails pace so that we don't get airborne. Afterall, we only move around at a snails pace to begin with :P

I've been out in 3-4m swells before (CLEAN). The ocean was flat, with enormous rolling hills. You'd just go from seeing the horizon and your mate in front of you, to seeing nothing but water.

Makes it harder to see pelagics a hundred metres away, but makes for great drifting - plenty of movement in that dead-sticked plastic. :)

That sounds terrifying.

I was up there Monday and was brown to the horizon. I'd like to get out next week thursday if the wind plays nice. After my last 3 outings at Palmy breaking through the surf, moffatts and kings are a fond memory of easy launches.

That time we went out in the big swell, my sounder read 20 to 24 m depth at the blinker. 50 metres or more and I had no idea where Terry disappeared to, just random glimpses every so often of orange.

You know the landing is going to be interesting when the surfers are riding the break right in front of the ramp

That time we went out in the big swell, my sounder read 20 to 24 m depth at the blinker. 50 metres or more and I had no idea where Terry disappeared to, just random glimpses every so often of orange.

You know the landing is going to be interesting when the surfers are riding the break right in front of the ramp

Ah, the joys of big swells. Except that day was rough as poo poo as well.

I've been out there in some bigger swell, albeit with no wind. At least then its a little more comfortable!

I'm also watching the Stanley River heights, it's dropping pretty quick - might go out there for a fish on the weekend.

Although will be very very dirty.

Archived