Aquarium Help!

Ash

hi all,

Im picking up my new aquarium this weekend. Im planning on having some native bass in there. Thing is, the only other fish ive ever had are gold fish and siamese fighting fish.

So is there anything i need to know about what to add to the water etc. Ive already got a pretty good filter and the tanks a nice size, 6x2x2. Can i fill the tank up with tap water? do i then need to add anything.

Also. whats the best place to buy food for the critters around the Jindalee/ Jamboree hts area(these suburbs are down from Indro,Toowong, but not as far as forestlake!)

any help would be appreciated.

Post edited by: Ash, at: 2007/09/07 14:51

If you fill it up with tap water you will need to either leave the tap water in the sun for a day or two before putting fish in, (sun kills the chlorine) or buy some chlorine nuetraliser.

Put a couple of inches of fine washed gravel in the bottom (so you only have the stones, not the sand) wash that well before adding it.

3 way filter and your away.

I'd try feeding them worms and see how you go. Shrimp would be expensive! or you can buy feeder fish, they are a lot cheaper than shrimp.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/09/08 09:53

In a new tank set up Firstly as Feral said buy some neutralisor forget the sun idea thats a hell of a lot of water in a tank that big :woohoo:

It is recommended that with a new filter and tank set up to not put fish in for 4-6 weeks so the tank can get a balance of good bacteria before adding Fish It's called cycling the tank ;)

I had a 10\" Oscar Slarti in my 4 footer before the dopey fish swwallowed a stone rearranging his tank and died Oscars do that :pinch:

av.jpg

Heres the tank

tank2.jpg

If you go to
/>http://www.oscarfish.com/

there's heaps of info on tank set ups ;)

Gaz

foot note gave the tank and all to my Daughter for her mexican walking fish and after 4 months the dopey thing got it's head stuck in the filter intake and died :pinch:

Post edited by: Gazza, at: 2007/09/08 13:53

tap water is fine just need to add the neutralisers - if you have a rain water tank use that water - and still add the neturalises to be on the safe side..

i have several tanks had more but yeah due to water restrictions i had to get rid of some of my fish.. i still have 2 3ft tanks set up 1 with gold fish and the other with jack dempsey, silver dollars and some angels...

i also got 1 1ft tank with a brazilan sole and my new favourite a barra fingerling B.. imho the people at pet city mt gravatt/wishart are great - they know alot about their fish - prices on the products are soso but yeah very helpful people there..

if you are gonna feed them frozen worms (cheaper then live) go to the rocklea markets there is this asian guy with birds and fish, buy it of him its a bit cheaper and the more you buy the more you can haggle with him - but he does only have limited stock so you gotta get in early

try some barra from the restaurant i am working in!

i saw my boss getting a few 30-40cm barra from someone to feed the customers. these barra r cheap( since they r raised as food, not pet), i thought they would die soon in the bad condition.

however, when i put my fingers against the glass, they show some interest in them. then a ecogear vt65 \"swimming\" against the glass got a few fiece bites!

those fish must be tough to stay alive in such condition and they were feeding well!

good place to start if u don;t wanna lose too much dollars learning how to raise them.

Archived