Question on choice of boat insurances

livaio

Had my boats insured with Suncorp and the premiums kept climbing, along with their rules and regs. Their fine print said the boat had to be securely affixed to a non movable object when it wasnt being used. The boat was housed in a garage under the main roof of the house and was alarmed but they still wanted it chained to a dynabolt sunk in to the garage floor.

Now with RACQ, much cheaper and more reasonable in security precautions.

I have written about it before, read your policy carefully as something like that could be the catalyst to refuse or reduce your payout.

I should be able to dig up the hard copy pds, but it was in there and that's what prompted my discussion with them. The online one now says on page 31 a big OR between the two.

Interestingly it also says that chains or cables and padlocks are NOT sufficient security if you boat is left anywhere other than a fully enclosed secured garage. You have to use a hitch clamp or wheel clamp or the like.

I already had a few policies with RACQ and they give good discounts for multiple policies, so when the boat came along it made sense to go with them, see if your car and home insulated offers discounts, if not it could be worth moving them all

Archived