Charging your battery in your boat before a trip

thriller

I isolate all 3 of 4 batteries by using a resettable fuse. You could also do this by putting two Anderson plugs inline so when it comes to charging you can disconnect the battery from the boat wiring and then attach to your charger completely isolating the battery from the boat wiring.

I have Anderson plugs off the house battery, cranking battery and the Minn Kota Batteries (2 x 120amp stay in parallel with one plug) and have attached a Anderson Plug to both of my chargers, I then do a full charge, once they are charged they then stay attached to power and are trickle charged which I've been told prolongs battery life. The only battery that misses out on trickle is the cranking battery which gets a boost before I go out.

/>http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=anderson+plug&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Connected with an isolator switch in line (off). Ctek M300 charging my (2 x 100Ah in parallel) Minn Kota batteries connected as soon as I get back from a trip out and left on until I take it out again and a Ctek M300 starter charger for my cranking battery again on as soon as I return until I take it out again.

As I thought, some do some don't.

I asked because my stator was leaking black stuff. (apparently NOT good)

I was told this was from either charging the battery with it still connected,

Or disconnecting the battery with the motor running was another cause.

(other electrical Gremlins not discussed)

Either way at $250 + for a replacement, plus labour I thought I would put it out there.

maybe save you some cash.

or cost you some when you realise your stator is u/s.

kind regards/sorry about that

Michael

Archived