Torium 50 - QLD Fishing Diaries

Torium50

I think myself and a lot of people on here are really really enjoying your reports mate, and I'm sure a lot of people would agree with this- I seriously think you should get a castnet/big bucket/aerator combo mate; with the fishing time you put in (at un-gentlemanly late hours and all) I honestly think you would be slaying them if you were using live bait. I just want to see the awesome fish you'd get using livies!

Funny you should say that. That is exactly what my beautiful fiance got me for my B-Day earlier this month. Got a castnet, air-rator and a Led Lenser H7R headlamp. I just haven't gotten around to using them yet.

I will use then on my next trip, because I agree with you and I know that livies will increase the chances of hooking into any predatory specie. (Hopefully big jewies and some nice big fat tailor).

On the night that I got the Jewie, there was so many bait fish around the side that it was like a blanket and I actually wished that I did have the castnet with me.

Can't wait for the next session.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friday has finally arrived. I'm done working for the week and the Missus is having a girls night out with some friends and I have nothing do...but not for long. I think with the high tide being just after midnight it might be a good idea to go throw some bait in the river and chase some Jewies. I can always catch up on some sleep in the morning.

I'll pack the gear at about 10pm and head down to the river till 1am. Who knows I might just get lucky and hook into another decent size Jewie again or maybe a couple of late night Tailor. I'm willing to go and gve it a go as this week has just been way too long... Time to relax and de-stress... Bring on some good fishi'n... Just gotta dress nice and warm...haha

Just got back from the river. There was absolutely nothing in the water tonight only crabs. Unfortunately the rain came down before the tide turned, so I only stayed till midnight. Either way it was relaxing and i'll just have to get some fish on the next outing.

I feel disappointed for you! Have been following your reports and was hoping you'd get a good fish on a live mullet tonight!

Thanks tiotony.

You win some & you loose some. That's just part of the game. Unfortunately the weather for the rest of the weekend is looking real bad, so i won't be going out again this weekend. I was quite surprised that the water was so quiet. No peckers, no catfish, no eels...? Maybe with the cold front coming through all the fish went off the bite, thus leaving the door open for the crabs to scavange whatever was in the water. It wasn't even mudcrabs, just sandcrabs which is a bit odd as I tend to pull out multiple mudcrabs always. There is always next time...

• 4 weeks later...

Finally!!!

After 3 weeks of no fishing I was very happy when my fiance told me on Saturday afternoon that she wanted to go and visit her friend in Caloundra as this would give me the time I needed to go wet a line. After a quick drive up to Caloundra on Saturday night, we went out for dinner and drinks after which I headed straight to bed in order to get up at 5am. So @ 5am I was up and ready to go and headed down to the beach.

I got to my spot as the sun came up and took a short walk to a spot that looked good. Since i've never fished this area I didn't really know if it would produce. I rigged up my rod and sent in the 1st bait. I could feel little nibbles but nothing too solid. After a couple of minutes i started to reel in when I realized I was stuck. 1st cast of the morning and a break-off. I rigged up again, added some bait and back to the water. The swells were big so my sinker kept rolling and after feeling stronger nibbles I reeled in and again STUCK! (This was gonna be a long morning). Off I went to rig up again and in went the bait.

The sun was coming up and the nibbles were getting better. By this time I had already been soaked and the cold made getting stuck and breaking off much harder. So after the 5th break-off I got one solid knock, so I waited but nothing. Reeled in, re-baited and back out. Same thing. One solid knock and then gone. After re-baiting another 4-5 times, I felt 3 quick knocks, another one and another one. I knew I was on. After some careful playing to get this fish over the rocks and not get stuck, I landed my 1st Squire of 36cm. I was quite chuffed and immediately got a new bait in the water. I was getting hard knocks but nothing was sticking. After another hour and the water was dead.

I packed up and moved to a new spot. Found a nice white water patch and started working it. From the 1st cast I got nailed every time, with quiet moments here and there. On my 1st cast on the new spot I landed a 18cm Tarwhine. Then the bream started to go crazy for 30 odd minutes before dissapearing. Once the bream went quiet I kept on being bitten off on every cast. One hard knock and then nothing and every time I reel in my hook was gone. I suspected big Tailor as they bit through everything from 55lbs mono traces to .90mm leader traces and eve 60lbs steel traces. Whatever I tried, they just would not stick. At the end of the morning I had landed a 36cm Squire, 2 x Tarwhine (18 - 25cm), 6 x Bream (24 - 29cm)& a small sole. It was a good day and well worth the drive. Hoping to do that again sometime.

Friday night after work I decided to go down to the river for a 2 hour session and try my luck. My bait of choice was pillies and from the first cast there was interest. The problem was that once I started reeling in I could feel that it was a pike eel. The 1st one was just over 100cm and after that almost every cast was one with a pike eel. They are full on in the river.

This morning we drove through to Bribie Island as friend's of our's just bought a house there and we went to have a look at it. Since I had to go I thought that it might be worth taking a light set-up and making a cast or two to see what is around. I set aside a 2 hour session starting at Buckley's hole and working my way up the beach for approx 2km's. I used prawn, worm, baby squid and some small lures, but there was nothing. I'm just thankful that it was a nice warm and sunny day although nothing came out.

bad luck mate,, how are you going with the cast net? have you got the hang of it yet?

I live in hte northern/western suburbs of brissie so if you want some lessons, i can teach you to cast net in about an hour,. then all the bait you need is yours...except if you're fishing in the Mary River where it can take more time getting bait than fishing. But in the brissie river it is no problem getting livies. let me know if you need a hand mate.

bad luck mate,, how are you going with the cast net? have you got the hang of it yet?

I live in hte northern/western suburbs of brissie so if you want some lessons, i can teach you to cast net in about an hour,. then all the bait you need is yours...except if you're fishing in the Mary River where it can take more time getting bait than fishing. But in the brissie river it is no problem getting livies. let me know if you need a hand mate.

Thanks for the offer Jimmyjack

Sent a PM

• 1 month later...

It's been 1 month & 1 day since I last went for a flick. Thank goodness I have some time this weekend and since I have nowhere to be and nowhere to go on Saturday I thought it might be a good idea to head up North to the Sunshine Coast.

Now for the big question... Has anyone been up to Caloundra or higher recently and did you catch anything worthwhile?

What a weekend...

I woke up at 2am on Saturday morning to get ready for my big day out. I loaded the car the previous evening so I just had to grab my bait from the freezer and off I went. I drove down to Mooloolaba and reached Point Cartwright at 4am. I grabbed my rod and headed down to the water. It was still pitch black and a bit windy but from the 1st cast I got nibbles. With that said I also got stuck and broke off from the 1st cast (due to the strong swells). Cast after cast I got hits but nothing stuck. As the sun started to rise I figured that would be the time the fish would come on the bite, but the opposite happened and there were less and less nibbles until about 20 minutes into the sunrise when all action stopped dead. I kept on trying yet it got quite miserable because I lost my rig on every cast.

While "feeding" the peckers I notices a lot of action to my far right. It was a small school of big Tailor. I quickly rigged up a lure and cast it in. It had barely touched the water and it was "fish on" and as quick as it struck the lure it was gone. Bitten clean off. A brand new lure on the 1st cast. I had luckily bought two and quickly rigged up the back-up lure. I could see them out in the distance and with the 6oz lure I had to cast approx 70-80m to reach the stirring water where the Tailor were feeding. The 1st cast had a strike, but it was missed. 2nd cast was struck and then again but the Tailor didnt stick. On the 3rd cast as the lure touched the water it was "fish on" and a massive run. Definitely not a run you would associate with tailor. This thing was big. It ran for approx 50m, leaped out of the water, and then it went straight down and into the bricks and cut me off.

I decided to move to the opposite side of Point Cartwright to see what I could find, however it was dead. Not a nibble. I persevered for about 2 hours with nothing before packing up in search of the next spot. I drove through to Coolum, Mudjimba and finally Point Arkwright. Not a single nibble. I even spoke to the spearos coming out of the water in the different spots and even they said there were nothing but empty water.

So with a sad sigh I got back into my car and headed back to Currimundi Lake to test my luck. Again there was nothing, not even a nibble on pillies. That was time to pack up, call it a day, and head back home on my long drive.

A very dissapointing day, but it still beats a day at the office.

Archived