New boat got some scales in it

Bill_V

Hi guys,

Well just an update after taking delivery of my new rig that I posted on last week.

I got it on Friday but didn\'t really get a good chance to try it out other than a test run at Bribie on Sunday where fishing wasn\'t really the priority as I wanted to see how it went. Monday the weather was awesome so I took it out with my wife and her sister to have a go on the bay. Anyone that knows me knows that I am not much of a fan of chasing snapper as basically I am hopeless at catching them so tend to chase other things, however my wife Nadia decided that we would go out in the bay and chase snapper at Harries. Now I hate Harries as it is too crowded and I have never really had any real success out there, usually I go to Peel where I do much better but saying that I would rather be down the pin chasing big flatties or in the Brissie river chasing jewies and threadies.

So wifey ruled we were going to Harries so off to the bay we went. I decided to stop off at Peel on the way as I figured that if we had any chance of getting something decent then that would be the place......I was wrong, wifey pulled in a just legal tusky that she \"declared too pretty to kill\" so it was released unharmed other than that the place was quiet so we pulled up stumps and went to Harries.

On arrival at Harries it was a carpark with at least 30 boats out there so I was filled with disappointment but started to see if there was any free space over any of my marks that I have collected over the years and there wasn\'t........but I decided to just sound around and see what I could find and bugger me I came across a spot with structure and fish showing all over it so hit the anchor lock button on the i-pilot remote on the spot. Just as the boat settled into position I looked over and saw the tinny beside me about 50m away fighting a decent sized fish and moments later he was netting a real decent looking snapper so I started to cheer up a bit about our prospects.

I switched on my new hydrowave unit and could hear it working away set on Mullet frenzy on a continuous loop and baited up the girl\'s rods with green king prawns bought from woolies that morning and I flicked around my favourite plastics, mainly z-mans and gulp prawns. Moments later Nadia is locked up on something big and as I forgot to check her drag setting when passing her the rod it busted off, to say I was a bit disappointed was an understatement. But before I could finish my sentence full of profanities her sister was hooked up and after a brief tussle a 56cm snapper was in the net. Jubilation all round. Not long after that Wifey was on again and boated a nice 48cm Snapper. After sorting out the fish and handing her rod back to her, I picked up my rod to have a cast but before I could fire away I could here wifey\'s drag peeling off and after another brief battle a 56 1/2 cm Snapper came aboard. The bite continued like that but the size of the fish caught shrunk considerably with quite a few just legals and many more undersized fish. The plastics caught alot of fish but the bigger models really wanted bait on this day.

I can honestly say that was the best Harries session I have ever had and there was one more interesting thing that happened. I was staring at the back just about to pull in an undersize squire when a small cobia smashed it right in front of me about a metre under the water. It grabbed the fish and not the jig head unfortunately so I didn\'t get a hook set in it but I think it would have smoked me anyway on the gear I was using......it was pretty cool and I have never seen that happen before. A good way to blood the boat in and I am wondering how much effect the hydrowave had on stirring those fish into such a frenzy.......time will tell.

A good feed and a good day out.

I am now on a rig off PNG working but I can\'t wait to get home in May and try again.....the new rig is awesome.

Cheers,

Bill

post-9750-144598942739_thumb.jpg

post-9750-144598942756_thumb.jpg

post-9750-144598942768_thumb.jpg

Archived