The things I've had to learn

daveylad

I've only had a boat for 3 years now and still have to get some major experience to get, theres several things I've learned though. Never been one for mechanical things always being in security type work I can use a batonand shoot the eye out of a Gnat at 50paces but mechanical problems no.

However since I've had the boat I now have some Mechanical knowledge in, fixing new bearings,brake pads and replacing cables, fitting new electical 12 volt fittings lights, sonars, batteries, Anderson plugs as battery extensions, new radio, new antennas and antenna mounts and connections,to add to that you learn new rules of the waterways, towing and reversing a trailer,

and now an new challenge I had my 2nd blowout in a few weeks and the last one my leaf springs collapsed because I decided to reverse the trailer the tyre burst and pushed the leaves out of there clamps so now Thanks to YouTube I'll have a go at fixing them. wonder what other trades people have learned since boating :woohoo:

Major to do Services: replace Bearings, Replace Tyres after 4 years even if not worn.

post-7571-144598948535_thumb.jpg

post-7571-144598948543_thumb.jpg

post-7571-144598948547_thumb.jpg

Awesome Dave,lol

If that happens out on the highway and you cannot fix it,remove both wheels and tie up the axle.

You can safely drive on the single axle setup to the nearest place for repairs.

That's one good thing with duels.

Yes this is dead right but not always with duels or tripples Because daves set up is double slipper and not load sharing. At any one time only one axle has the load. So the twin axle group is only rated really to 1200kg even though it is a tandem.

Unless you have a 60 or 70mm axle group and 13/14 inch rims running load range E LT tyres only then would the axle group exceed 2tonne.

If it was load sharing springs you could not remove tyres and drive.

How heavy is the boat? 2t.

With double slipper are you doing bearings. I kno when I had double slipper I did heaps. Also the tow vehicle uses heaps of petrol.

Share the load through load share long springs shares the friction on the road and bearings. And gives you better fuel Ecconomy. Happy to help out any time dave if you need stuff done (on the boat trailer not round your house cleaning gutters while your sippin a shandy:lol: :lol: )

Because you are running durahubs I wouldn't worry too much about the bearings Dave. Just check that the oil hasn't gone white (seals letting water in) and make sure the oil levels are half way up the window. Still a good idea to do them every year or two though.

Mine went to cape york and back including about 2000km of corrugated roads and are as good as new, so doubt that a tyre blow out would cause as much wear.

Archived