Go Pro Settings and Software

Hi

Just bought a GoPro3 and have been playing around with it. I note that the quality of my video doesn't seem to be as good as some other posts you see on the net. I have retained the default settings on the camera (1440p, 48fps).

I would be interested to know what best settings others have used for their fishing movies. Also, please recommend some preferably free editing software to use.

Thanks very much

Andrew

my snow vids were tested with 1080p and 1440 settings, with 1440 offering the best view from a polemount or helmet, for fishing i'd be inclined to use the 1080@60fps as it the action wouldn't seem so far away then.

Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 has been the least annoying software so far

Download the free editing software from the gopro website, it's free and easy to use, it will also change the format. Then I use Windows movie maker to put the story board together with or with out music. Takes a while but most editing does.

Hi

Just bought a GoPro3 and have been playing around with it. I note that the quality of my video doesn't seem to be as good as some other posts you see on the net. I have retained the default settings on the camera (1440p, 48fps).

I would be interested to know what best settings others have used for their fishing movies. Also, please recommend some preferably free editing software to use.

Thanks very much

Andrew

Hey Mate. silly question but define quality?

Is it the the video quality is not tack sharp or kinda looks like your watching and old VHS or is it that you are getting a massive fish eye effect on your video?

Running 1440 at 48 fps is a good as it gets so the image quality should be top notch.

with the 3rd editions there are firmware updates you need to download but these will not be a direct impact to image quality, more so compatibility with wifi devices and other items.

Software:

Cheap and easy to use if not free:

Mac = I-movie (comes with mac or costs about 17 bucks these days)

PC - just use movie maker and it's free and will do the job

I love Final Cut X for Mac - it's bloody awesome but not free and not easy to use at first

Really simple, the higher you go in video resolution the better the quality picture is but will be laggyer and on some computers harder to work with on a edit program, I proferebly use 1080@60fps which gives an unreal picture and is easy to work with on the computer!

The edit program I use which is free is Windows Live Movie Maker which is really good and very very simple and has everything you want like slowmo, clip spliting tools.........

The program will also save the finished and edited clip you have created in any quality you like.

Hope this will help

Hi Manni

It is a bit more of what you describe as watching a VHS as opposed to a CD. I need to play with it some more and to be fare to the camera, a lot of the films have been quite early in the morning in lower light conditions.

Thanks everybody for your responses.

Andrew

just do some test vids at home mate in well lit conditions, you shouldn't be experiencing this issue with the resolution settings you have, these tests will prove immediately if it was a light issue or something else

also consider a couple other things.

If you have up loaded the video to you tube check the resolution settings on the bottom right of the vid, you have 240, 360 and so one up to 1080 HD - you may be watching the vid in a very low resolution because youtube has found it easier to stream the lower quality vid. this will cause the that old VHS look but a click of a button will change that.

also given that you are recording in full HD the size of the files can become extremely large depending on the length of the clip, your pc or mac depending on specs may be struggling to play back, this could result in stuttering image or poor buffering which can also create a fuzzy look (sorry if it seems like i'm telling you to suck eggs lol - just a couple options with limited info ;) )

Archived