A good day down the pin

Bill_V

Hey guys,

Well this report is a bit delayed as I am back working up in PNG again watching monster Jacks swimming around. I did get home for a few days due to a break down 2 weeks ago and happened to coincide with a weekend with half decent weather so I took my young son Alex for a run in the new rig to see if we could get him his first fish on a soft plastic. I usually make him use bait as it is easier but the last few trips he really wanted to try plastics as he watches me fish with them every time we go out and he gets a bit bored holding a rod with no action for a while.

Anyhoo, we get down there about 1130 in the morning and set about trying to find a few fish and we did ok. The bream were starting to spawn so they basically hit everything we threw at them. Caught 20 or so just legal to 30cm bream and a few just under legal flatties on gulp prawns and minnow grubs. Even managed a couple on surface walkers which was fun. The aim was a nice flatty for a feed so we left the little ones biting and trolled a couple of Smithy's lures Lil mates slowly along the edges of the weed banks and within a couple of minutes got a nice 52cm flatty. Young bloke was stoked as he helped me net it, couldn't wipe the smile off his face so we called it a day and headed back to the ramp. Once we got back to the ramp I realised we had only been out 3 hrs, it was a fair bit of action for that amount of time. No monsters or PBs but the little bloke now loves the plastics, he just needs a little more casting practice as I nearly got a few facial piercings but he is slowly getting the hang of it.

All fish released unharmed except for dinner....

post-9750-144598962885_thumb.jpg

post-9750-1445989629_thumb.jpg

post-9750-144598962916_thumb.jpg

post-9750-144598962924_thumb.jpg

post-9750-144598962908_thumb.jpg

Thanks for report mate... its great to see dad's taking their kids fishing... my daughter loves to come fishing with me, like you I always let her fish with bait ONLY, but have just started taking her land based squidding, once I see her casting get better then i will let her try soft plastics from the boat, you're a brave man, braver than me anyways... lol.

Thanks mick2me, yeah it was pretty dangerous at times, definately wasn't game to take my sunnies off that is for sure but he is getting better.

I have been trying to load up 4 more pics but my internet out here on the rig is a bit hit and miss so I will try and post them up again later.

Go Bill! When are you back? Still gotta catch up with you in Brisvegas for a fish in your new rig! I'll be demobbing out of Malaysia so home will be via Bris at the end of the month- can hang around if your gonna be there

Hey Tony,

I should get home end of next week and I will be around till end of the month, so no problem mate, I will FB ya mate to organise something when my crew change is confirmed....it looks a bit dicy at the moment.

And cheers guys, young Alex looks like he has the fishing bug already, hopefully many years of fishing to come......and when he gets a bit bigger I will never have to retrieve and anchor or crab pot ever again haha

Archived