SQUID

Convict

Over the years on television I have seen a number of fishing shows with people catching squid. These people though have always been in boats. I have never done squid fishing. So I am just curious about a few things. 1) Can squid be caught from a river bank? 2) Is one likely to catch squid in the Brisbane River, or are they caught in open water? 3) What is the best time of day to catch squid? Thank you, Jim

Hi Jim

Squid can definitely be caught off the shore, particularly from any jetties or rock walls around the Bay. Squid like clean water so you don't tend to find them as much inside rivers, unless there has been no rain for a long time. Similarly, Squid are common on the Western side of Moreton Bay in winter when the water there cleans up. When the summer Noreasters and storms dirty the western Bay squid are more easily found over at Moreton Island and the adjacent weedbeds.

They tend to frequent areas of rock and weed and love man-made structures such as jetties, rock walls and boat moorings. Off jetties, night fishing is popular because the lights attract baitfish which in turn attract squid. You can fish during the day from jetties and rock walls too, either by prospecting (moving around and making a range of casts) or in some areas by stalking the edges and sight casting for then as they cruise the shallows.

For shore based squidding I have had most success on a rising tide, from mid-tide to full and the first hour or so of the run out. Calm weather suits them best and makes it easier to spot them in the water, while in windier conditions they will tend to sit out in deeper water or hunt in any nearby sheltered bays.

Hope this helps

Duncan

Hi Duncan, thanks for the info. I notice they use squid jigs on TV, but can they be caught on bait, or are fish likely to eat the bait first. Have you heard of squid being caught in the Brisbane River? If so, then going by what you say, I take it they would be caught around the mouth and not upstream. Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim,

They certainly can be caught on baits, using a squid spike which threads up the inside of a pilchard or garfish. They are commonly fished under a float and let to bob around attracting the squid. I fish jigs because it is a fun way to hunt them.

If the water is clean then they could potentially travel a fair way up the river, but generally I would expect to find them at the mouth. It may be easier to start at jetties and rock walls around the Bay, where they are a common catch. When you have worked out your technique for catching them, start hunting around in the river.

Cheers

Duncan

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen, if not caught them, at all the main jetties around the bay like Wellington Pt, Victoria Pt and Manly Marina.

I like going to Viccie Point and using pichards on an old style jig and then cut up some and throw out for a bream or two- either way I usually go home with a Winter feed from doing that.

Archived