Help required please - Boat Trailers

Brian D

Before the Awoonga trip I would like to make sure the trailer is in good working order.

Does anyone know about bearings, brakes and stuff?

Does anyone know a good trailer repairer / mechanic that would do the service near by Beenleigh?

Does anyone on the site want the Job? ( I don't realy want to do it myself - I know I should but I'm too busy fishing or working).

Is it a tricky thing to change bearings or is it fairly simple?

Is there any publications that someone would recomend that would help me?

Any suggestions would be gratefully taken on board!

Thanks guys.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/08/18 09:04

WHAT TYPE OF BRAKES DO YOU HAVE ON THE TRAILER IE ELECTRIC OR OVERRIDE CABLE OPERATED?

are they drum or disc

ARE THEY WORKING OK OR ALL SIEZED UP.

IF THEY ARE WORKING OK ITS Easy to check lineings op pads.

wheel bearings and seals are easy and cheap to replace as long as the seal hasnt cut into the axle then you have to get stainless sleeves ( I think about 10 bucks each) to reclaim the axle, which is a lot cheaper than a new axle and they last forever.

if you wanted to come down to redland bay one day and nothing major is required it should only take a couple of hours max. give me a ring 32068583.

ray

Ray you bloody ripper.

Brakes - yes they are working - well at least I think they are working. They seam to stop OK.

I last had them serviced about 18 months ago.

What sort of brakes - I got no idea. What's the difference? They operate when I plug in the lights I think - does that help?

Bearings - I think they are OK - the service guy never said anything about it when he looked at the brakes last time.

I have done a trip from Beenleigh to redland bay or brissy river most weekends for the last year and I suppose the wheels, bearing and brakes are due for a service but I am only guessing.

I just don't want trailer problems going to awoonga.

I am always at redland bay so I'll give you a shout and you can advise me as to what to do, if you don't mind.

the brakes are electric. do you have a controller that you adjust from inside the car?

the electric brakes are pretty reliable. you may just get away with an inspection and repacking the wheel bearings. if they show any sign of water penetration i would advise replacing the bearings and seals but you may wish to do that anyhow for peace of mind.

do you immerse the hubs when you launch if not everything should be ok,

ray

No controller Ray. Just plug into trailer 7 pin round socket. There is like a hand brake lever on the trailer frame. I moved it once when the brakes were warm, thinking that I was doing the right thing but when I came back after fishing the brakes were rubbing so I put the lever back where it was.

I used to sink the trailer when launching but I stopped that a couple of months ago cause it is not neccessary and in fact as the rollers are in good condition I find I have better control if I leave it a bit higher out of the water.

It is a 1994 Swiftco 2000c model if that means anything!

Sorry Ray I must sound like a dumb turd and I suppose when it comes to this stuff I am but everything is easy if you know how. I'm pretty good on tax but!

Brian, what length is your boat? I reckon it might not be to far off 5m.

Coz I need to make a trailer to fit my new pride and joy, and if your going to go over to Ray's to get it looked at, and your boat is in the same ball park length wise, a few measurements might be in order to help me make mine!

Good call Feral.

My Boat is a 470 so I suppose it's 4.7mtrs but a bit longer to the pointy end - I think.

But yeah my trailer would be a good templete cause it's a universal fit - so I've been told.

We could always just dump the boat at the ramp and have the trailer empty to get what you need.

I have old some marine carpet for your casting platforms if you want it! It's about 2.5mtrs square, in reasonable condition.

Mate, I am on the scrounge for anything vaguely usable!

The $150 dollar speeding ticket I got the other day has substantially reduced my budget according to \"she who must be obeyed\" , by approximately $150 apparently!

(Hey how was I suposed to know the school holiday for the Eka was a different day at chermside than it was at my place!)

Gympie muster - now that's cool.

Spending tickets very uncool.

Hey feral I have a spare unused rod holder that would go nicely on your tinnie - it's now yours if you want it. I'll chuck it in with the carpet. If you look at my boat photos you can see the carpet. I pulled it out in one piece to use it as a templete for the new carpet. My minister for war and finance will be happy to get rid of it.

I'll keep an eye out for other stuff the project. Are you realy going to biuld a trailer? Gezz you must be handy to have around. I got an idea I'll send you a PM.

• 1 month later...

Archived