Approaching schools of fish

Miller 197

Hey all,

Long time lurker around AFO

Was just seeking some advice on how to approach a surface feeding school of fish and see how what everyone reckons.. as I really have no idea and not much experience in chasing schools of fish

This question of mine has arisen because on Saturday we were chasing a rather large school of mack tuna around, but it seemed that whatever method we would use they would still get very timid and go under. The most effective method that we found was getting up ahead of the school and cutting the motor and drift towards them.. then belting slugs around the edge of the school

I have a few quick questions:

- Is it best to use the method above.. where you try to gauge which direction there heading and get in front of them cut the motor and hope they come in your direction? This got frustrating for us on the weekend as they would often change direction

- Or is it fine to motor straight upto the school of fish and try stay at casting distance away?

- Once close to the school of fish is it best to leave the motor running or to turn it off?

Would love to hear what methods you guys use for approaching a school of fish whatever it may be

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

Firstly, it seems like some days you will never get close to them, no matter what you try. Other days you can run right over them without any issues.

I think someone mentioned in the past that it's the CHANGE in noise which makes them go down rather than the noise itself. This notion would also support them feeding in the river right next to noisy tankers and tugs (something I have seen myself)

Sounds like you figured out the basics of chasing Tuna through determining what worked for you. The only difference is that we don't kill the engine - more run along side the tuna (slightly ahead where possible). So we're not running at the tuna, but parallel to them - keeping them close to the limits of casting distance.

Depends where they are. They quite often push up into the wind. Westerlys near bribie always worked well, they'd push them right up to the drop off near the beach.

For some reason I have never really taken a lot of notice when in the boat as to the wind - probably because you just push the throttle down and the boat moves rather effortlessly.

They always seem to be going into the wind whenever I chase them in the kayak... It's almost always seems to be directly into a 10-15 knot wind...

Chris something else that hasn't been mentioned is like my boat is it has more tendency to move down wind even against current with my bimini catching the wind, I'm not sure how your boat handles and also you will cast a lot better down wind so I definitely head up wind of them and when spooky I give them a wide berth so not to send them down sounding like other's have said some days they are just frustrating

Good luck

Mark

We were having that same problem on the weekend while trying to get ahead of them and drift over them.. out boat was like a sail and we would end up further away :pinch:

So the most effective method would be to motor up along the side of the school maintaining a cast-length distance between the boat and the fish? .... providing the fish wanna stick around and play the game

Archived