Caloundra with poppers

slider65

Decided to go our and try the poppers again, It was midday and the top of the tide and the water was super clear. So i paddled out to the centre of the sandbanks off golden beach to an area that was covered by weedbeds.I took a 1kg flick rod and 3 x 50mm poppers and a 4kg flick rod and 3\" x SP's, I positioned my yak so it would drift across the widest part of the weedbeds that were covered by 2-3 feet of water and started casting and almost straight away started getting hits on the popper. The thing i found was the popper had to be worked in a fast eratic action of 2-3 inch jerks and the whiting were chasing it all the way to the yak and there was 3 and 4 whiting chasing it at once.

The end result was 3 whiting one at 28.5cm, one at 36 and one at 36.5cm, and one bream at 27cm. I also dropped 4 more bream and 6 whiting from the hooks pulling out, i also dropped a small queenfish of about 35cm when it threw the popper in one of it's jumps.

All up i fished for about 1 1/2 hours .

All in all i was very happy with the result

DSC00078.jpg

DSC00079.jpg

DSC00084.jpg

Hi cowfish

I don't see why the 35 wouldn't catch them. The big thing i have found is that it has to be a fast erratic retrieve, i was jerking the popper fast with the rod tip in 2-3\" jerks and if it stopped they would loose interest and swim off. The faster the popper moved the move aggressive they became and the harder they hit.

I aslo saw 2 to 5 fish chasing the popper at a time so they were competing for it.

I was using a fairly stiff 1-3kg flick rod loaded with 1kg fire line and and a 2 metre long 4kg leader and making my casts long so as to cover as much water as possible.

The area i was fishing was weedbeds in the middle of some large sandbanks, the sandbanks had about a foot of water over them and the weedbeds had 2-3 feet of water over them.

• 4 months later...

Archived