Fishing in jindalee

Missafefe

Interesting catch ! I was out on Sunday morning for a spin in the boat I can't stand the kinda lee boat ramp on the weekends between the jet ski idiots and the ski boats I am not sure who is worse.

They have no regard for creating a wake that slams other boats into the pontoon

I bet your daughter was stoked!!

K

I've caught similar fish at the Fig Tree Pocket Boat Ramp with small crank lures in the early mornings when i used to live near there. They weren't as yellow but that one but the ones i caught were pre-floods. A gentleman at the ramp at the time said it was a river perch also. Its good to see them back in the river!

Its Johnius australis. The other "River Perch" you see is Johnius borneensis looks more like a small Jew and has canines DAFF still has the obsolete synonym Johniops vogleri on there website for this. Nibea sqamosa not found this far south grow to 80+cm. 30 odd cm max for J. australis.

• 3 weeks later...

Nah it's a scaley jew, Nibea squamosa, my son caught a few at Proserpine river a few weeks back and it was the same fish, they all came out of the water golden then went silver,,,, scaley jew. No way it's a Johnius australis, the mouth is totally different,

They are found this far south, just because a book or daff says they are not, does not mean the truth. Same as when fish spawn, it is not exactly the dates that are set aside, it is the climate that triggers spawning.

Nah it's a scaley jew, Nibea squamosa, my son caught a few at Proserpine river a few weeks back and it was the same fish, they all came out of the water golden then went silver,,,, scaley jew. No way it's a Johnius australis, the mouth is totally different,

They are found this far south, just because a book or daff says they are not, does not mean the truth. Same as when fish spawn, it is not exactly the dates that are set aside, it is the climate that triggers spawning.

Been wrong before Matt :blush: will get a second opinion.

Archived