Sunday offshore?

linc87

Where are you thinking about heading. The 1.6m swell should be fine. Bom looks pretty good http://www.bom.gov.au/marine/wind.shtml?location=qld-bris&tz=AEDT

Not sure about Seabreeze's prediction of a SE swell. The Wind is Due east so it may be a little interesting on the South passage bar. From all reports lately it has been fishing better off the cape in the last week. I would probably be heading around the cape with 1.6m swell and an easterly but I am a little gun shy after a scare on the south passage bar a year ago.

Where are you thinking about heading. The 1.6m swell should be fine. Bom looks pretty good http://www.bom.gov.au/marine/wind.shtml?location=qld-bris&tz=AEDT

Not sure about Seabreeze's prediction of a SE swell. The Wind is Due east so it may be a little interesting on the South passage bar. From all reports lately it has been fishing better off the cape in the last week. I would probably be heading around the cape with 1.6m swell and an easterly but I am a little gun shy after a scare on the south passage bar a year ago.

Come down to Wavebreak with us Ted. some are there today, I'll be down tonight.

Not missing the AFO Christmas Party for anything. I can not believe I have not been to the German Club before. these beers are completely in my taste range.

Not missing the AFO Christmas Party for anything. I can not believe I have not been to the German Club before. these beers are completely in my taste range.

Good point. I'm spoilt, I work across the road basically from the German club, so I go often. :)

Have phun!

The German Club Rocks Ted..... wait till you see their pretzels

The German Club Rocks Ted..... wait till you see their pretzels

These Pretzels are making me thirsty :lol: Sorry for all the off topic stuff

>http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/forecasts/fraser-island-coast.shtml

First time I have seen it say this: Deceptively powerful surf conditions are expected to be hazardous for coastal activities such as crossing bars by boat and rock fishing.

Those are a ground swell Jeremy.

They carry far more water and force than the standard swell and are generally caused from a cyclone or deep depression way offshore some where.

They are extremely dangerous on a bar and if you wear one over the boat you need every bit of knowledge and wits about you or you are a goner.

The one good thing about them is they eventually form a good pattern of sets and you can read them quite easily but the timing between sets decreases dramatically making them hard to cross safely.

First time I have seen it say this: Deceptively powerful surf conditions are expected to be hazardous for coastal activities such as crossing bars by boat and rock fishing.

They carry far more water and force than the standard swell and are generally caused from a cyclone or deep depression way offshore some where.

They are extremely dangerous on a bar and if you wear one over the boat you need every bit of knowledge and wits about you or you are a goner.

The one good thing about them is they eventually form a good pattern of sets and you can read them quite easily but the timing between sets decreases dramatically making them hard to cross safely.

The warning is for a southerly swell.

Do you reckon it will affect south passage Lance?

It is meant to hit in arvo and there will be out going tide on bar.

You could just about garantee it Shane.

Unlike a normal swell, a ground swell will push into a bar from any direction and with a run out tide it will be very dangerous.

They will curl around any headland and push into the bay and land directly onto the bar as if it was an Easterly.

Hey guys my brother and I were out spb on Wednesday, it was touch and go on the bar with whitewater everywhere, trying to get up to the northern channel was tough so we tried to head out the middle channel an nearly found ourselves buried in sand, don't mean to put you off or anything it was only 45 mins past the bottom of the low tide.

Fishing wasn't that great, only managed a small pearly, a stripped tuna and a small ambo - then we both got anihilated and assumed they were sharks, there were some nice shows on the sounder at square patch but after endless drifts over them we assumed they were either just bait schools or just not hungry.

Anyways were headin out from bribie early tomorrow..... Gonna hit up north moreton, anyone got any advice for us? We are fairly new to the offshore fishing thing but might give trolling a go, hard to give up jigging after the recent success we have had

How was the bar Shane?

I just looked at the waverider bouy from point lookout for sunday and it had 1.8 to 2m easterly swell for early sunday morning hope no one tried it with the run out tide early in the morning, those conditions are boat killers even on the run in tide I would be thinking twice about going out.

Yeah it was a bit sloppy in the morning but definitely comfortable enough.

Did you guys get any fish?

The wider you went the better it was.

Fishing was slow. We found awesome shows but couldnt get them to bite.

We ended up scrapping up a feed of dollies snaps n spangles.

Trolling side we went 1-1-0. The tuna were pain. Couldnt go 50m without hooking to.

Signs are looking good. Water temps gone up now.

Hopefully the pelagics arnt far away.

How did you go

Shane

Had a very interesting day.

Got a couple of gold spot to about 6kg and a nice snapper that went 90cm and about 8kg, I was getting a coupe of small AJ and stripy tuna on the jigs which were a bit of fun on light gear until about 8 when they shut down.

Soon after as a livie was getting lowered to the bottom a small black inhaled it took off (First for both of us and first for the boat, such a buzz seeing these amazing creatures fight) and I quickly leant that grabbing the bill is best done with gloves when we got him beside the boat.

After that al went quiet and we called it quits at about 11 with a couple of nice eating fish in the esky.

Will post pics later on.

We were out north of moreton for the first time - won't be heading back there in a hurry most of our marks were completely void of fish life and the small shows we did find had nothing on the chew. A 330 start from bribe island and we weren't back at the ramp till about 630, an epic day of mainly boating, at least the weather wa nice but with only one pearly in the ice box we were pretty dissapointed

and to add insult to injury the t top on my bros boat now has cracks in all four posts about halfway up on the welds, it's still under warranty and ts is the second time hes had to get them to fix it, it's a tournament 6m centre con and the t top is an alloy ocean south - doubt we will be able to get out b4xmas, so I'm devastated - completely addicted to offshore fishing and no boat - if anyone is looking for a deckie or knows someone whos looking for one give me a shout, the weather is looking great for this weekend and I'm keen as, happy to chp in for fuel etc

I pack light, arrive on time, fish hard, I can work a parachute and pull in an anchor, and if I'm feeling energetic and generous on the day I even gut and gill the fish as they come aboard ( provided I'm not fighting my own fish at the same time)

Pm me or u can catch me on 0401368385 I'm on holidays so anytime I'm keen

Archived