Brisbane river 23/02

rathabfishin2

Quick report as I have too much work to do and the second tallie of Coopers stout is beginning to kick in....

It was and early start, up at two, didn't leave home until 3am. Made it to POB by 3.40 and started cast netting. Unfortunately I only caught one garfish and one poddy mullet. So off to cast under the bridge and along the banks towards the river from the bridge. No luck at all there. :S

Moved onto the mouth of boggy and finally started to get one, and one, and one, then a two. All good size ppoddy mullet but I was fast running out of dark so after I had about 12 in the well off to Clara's rock. Anchored up, had two pre rigged rods so out goes the first bait. Did a quick chech as usual and the second pre rig had copped some damage to the leader in transit so time to fix that. As I am tieing a double snell off goes the rod and in comes a nice little jewfish. :woohoo:

post-8423-144599032752_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately it was 2.5 cm shy of the legal limit so back in.

I saw what I thought to be some excellent shows on my little sounder so persisted for a while but no luck.

post-8423-144599032765_thumb.jpg

Started losing a bit of gear with the live bait swimming around sections of rock and snagging so at about 7am I moved onto the poo shute. Past one small tinny flicking lures near the green beacon, cast the net but no more poddy mullet, just the obligatory herring that plague the area. Decided to fish with what I had and not waste anymore time and as I can back I was greeted by seeing the young guys hooking in to what was a 119cm thready.

post-8423-144599032775_thumb.jpg

After this the wind really picked up, and to make it more frustrating I stopped count afterwatching them hook and land another 7 threadfin salmon. Had a chat, talked about gear, and realise it is about time I get off my but, get a battery mount in for the electric, fix the pedal that I broke, and buy a sounder with down and side scan. In very trying conditions these guys were doing it with ease. I watched them watch the sounder, move into position, fire casts at the fish, then hook up. While doing this I did catch 5 big catfish between 60 and 70 cm and a nice 57 cm flathead but since I was chasing jew and threadies and had the gear to I felt a little silly celebrating! :blush:

It was a good morning though. I know the wallet cant do it right now after a big road trip over the school holidays but looking forward to when I can upgrade the gear on my boat. Until then I will be harassing my cousin BillV who has the same boat with an i pilot and sounder with DScan and Sscan to take me out throwing lures at em!

Promising start to the fishing ! :woohoo:

Those blokes probably had just one thready on a leash, so don't feel bad :dry:

I can't recall a time when there have been no mullet in the inlet on the right just after you go under the bridge. Is that where you went, or just along the mangroves to the river ?

post-564-144599032784_thumb.jpg

Promising start to the fishing ! :woohoo:

Those blokes probably had just one thready on a leash, so don't feel bad :dry:

I can't recall a time when there have been no mullet in the inlet on the right just after you go under the bridge. Is that where you went, or just along the mangroves to the river ?]

Cheers mate. They definately did not have them on a leash. It was a good learning curve watching them ply their trade....They definately spotted them mainly on the side scan, moved to position, then casted until they hooked up. Once for a double hook up. In regard to the mullet I did not go that far up but thanks for the X on the map. Just wondering what the depth is there on an average high tide? I hope to get out at least one night/morning this weekend and being so close to the ramp and a few spots that area is perfect if it can produce the bait!

Great report Andrew and well done on the jewie and flathead. Not sure if you throw pots in often but catties are meant to be good for mudcrab bait (little tip if you keep them - use your pliers to break off the spikes on them before putting in the freezer). Yeah I definitely need to join the 21st century sometime and get an electric motor and then further down the track a decent sounder (although I think I'll have fun trying to get that one past the finance minister .......). Will let you know if I end up getting out this weekend as may be able to team up at last. Now, where did I put that tallie (I mean 'medicine' .............). :woohoo:

Archived