old clapped out outboard for teaching resource

rathabfishin2

As some of you may know I work as a high school teacher and last year started a subject new to the school and our region, "Marine and Aquatic Practices". The reasoning behind implementation of MAP was to give students that were otherwise disengaged and at risk of not completing school a reason to stay and to learn valuable skills and gain knowledge in marine based areas. I started this year expecting to see a greenhouse to house our aquaponics system for use in term 1. Unfortunately this has not occurred and I have had to reshuffle my work program. This has left me little time to get funding for an outboard running or not to use for basic maintenance and trouble shooting in the marine mechanics unit.

After much thought I have worked out ways I could improvise including using my own boat and motor, however aspects of the coarse such as prop inspection, taking off lower leg and changing spark plugs are things that I do not want to use my new motor for as I am sure you can understand.

So if anyone has an old outboard that is destined for the scrap heap and would like to donate it to the school it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Andrew

Archived