Chasing Murray Cod

old mate

Last week I managed to sneak my way out to Texas QLD for a weekend of Fishing relaxing and some shooting.On the way camp I was arriving right on sundown so decided it would be best to have a flick before meeting up with the group.

Started land chucking the new Jackall Pompadour, 2nd cast resulted in a vicious young Murray Cod.

After a few more cast the sun was gone so decided to head to camp where I met up with the uncle and a few other boys.

Upon arrival I was greeted with the shock that the boys had beaten me by a day to get down there and they had grand success already.

Neale had manages a healthy 23lb Murray Cod that he pulled out of 3 foot of water after fishing the deep all day with no success.

He also manages a second healthy Cod and a bunch of yellow belly. This made me all the more keen to hit the water the next day.

Neales fish

post-6803-144599034512_thumb.jpg

post-6803-144599034527_thumb.jpg

Woke up bright and early and decided it was a little too cool for the cod so headed out for a shot with the boys. Managing a healthy 65kg boar. On the drive back to camp I was shocked to see that a fire (yet to be told about) had taken out 1km of fencing. this meant fishing would have to wait and I was doing some fencing. To my Delight when we met up with the farmer I found out the next door neighbour stuffed up and lit the fire and he was the one doing all the fencing all we had to do was lay the posts in the right spots.

About 1pm I was off to hit the clean fresh flowing water of the Dumaresq river.

Got 50m upstream before the action started. Chucking the pompadour around on a Nordic Stage Ariel Jaeger slow retrieving over 3m deep water I had the lure 1m away from the boat before it decided to strike and dart back down into the deeper water. After a bit of waiting around I managed to turn its head and start coming to surface, and gee surface strike made me cr@p my pants. Cod measured 53cm.

The rest of the session ended up being me deciding on which snag to hit as there where just so many, and i managed another another 2 for the day one going 40cm and the other 36cm.

My first fish on arrival

post-6803-144599034536_thumb.jpg

Cod on the Pompadour

post-6803-144599034546_thumb.jpg

few extras

post-6803-144599034555_thumb.jpg

post-6803-144599034561_thumb.jpg

All in all was an enjoyable trip even though fishing did not go to plan.

Cheers Chris

Nice one mate, looks like a good trip. When you say fishing didn't go to plan, do you mean because of the time lost doing the fencing or because you were disappointed with the results? I'm yet to catch one/fish for one so I guess my sights will be set on just catching one. Hoping to go to Sundown NP over Easter.

Nice one mate, looks like a good trip. When you say fishing didn't go to plan, do you mean because of the time lost doing the fencing or because you were disappointed with the results? I'm yet to catch one/fish for one so I guess my sights will be set on just catching one. Hoping to go to Sundown NP over Easter.

Just the amount of time I lost to go fishing, I had a big paddle through planned with the other boys to drop me at point A and pick me up at point B which would have been 10-12 hours. I was still happy with the success haha.

And yeah I have been fishing out texas way for a 10 years

Archived