2 stroke trolling

Malcolm

Malcolm wrote:

When i have been trolling for a while with my 20hp Mariner 2 stroke and then get the motor going at speed again, a fair amount of smoke comes out for a little while then it clears.Is this normal for these 2 strokes or is something wrong?

Thanks

Mal

2 strokers rule!!! Smoke means power! :lol:

Reminds me of my biking days.. me and my RS125 blazing down the highway... zoom zoom zoom! Wherever I go I'd leave a trail of smoke! Classic 2 stroker style! hehe.

If u can smell the oh so sweet scent of 2T, it's all good. Only when u start seeing fire or getting really burnt smells should u worry mate!

Sorry Viperon smoke don't = power actually the oposite too much smoke means too much oil ;)

as far as outboards go as Mack said the plugs tend to foul up from prolonged low revs usually a bit of a run will clear them absolute worst secnario is you night have to clean em ( very rare)

Gaz

one last thing make sure you have the right mixture to suit your motor ;)

Yeh 2 strokes arent really designed for low revs. Some of the Modern ones eg Last 3years are better than say 10-20years ago. Smoke Doesnt Mean Power It means u are mixin your oil wrong. 50:1. What you could do is run 100:1. Our motor was designed to run 100:1 but the mechanic suggested 50:1 Every 10 or so tanks we give it a run at 100:1 though. Dont really know why we always have.

haha, michael caton huh? Never watched that though..

Anywayz, I do apologise for my being overzealous! I do know smoke does not necessarily mean power. hehe!

What I meant was relative to 4 strokers which produce zero or little smoke, 2 strokers produce more power with the same displacement, but at the expense of fuel, 2T, parts' life and of coz not to mention extra smoke, to some extent.

viperon1982 wrote:

haha, michael caton huh? Never watched that though..

Anywayz, I do apologise for my being overzealous! I do know smoke does not necessarily mean power. hehe!

What I meant was relative to 4 strokers which produce zero or little smoke, 2 strokers produce more power with the same displacement, but at the expense of fuel, 2T, parts' life and of coz not to mention extra smoke, to some extent.

you've never seen 'The Castle'??? don;t go fishing tonight and hire it out instead

Yeah she is just oiling up, often the exhaust ports, plugs etc get oiling from sustained low revs.

My newer 6hp johno ('87) is designed for 100 to 1, but I run 50 to 1. She gets a bit smokie if idling along for a while, and needs a bit of a rev to clear her throat If I have been trolling any more than half an hour or so, but its an old motor, I am NOT running 100 to 1! Particularly as my older 6 hp ('85) motor is identical mechanically, only 2 years older, and is recommended for 50 to 1!

in the 80's OMC did change the ratio to 100:1, but then changed it back to 50:1

The reason for the change wasn't performance based, but storage. At 100:1 there wasn't enough oil left on the bearings and cylinder walls, and they would start to rust, unless you ran the motor all day every day. At 50:1, there is enough oil left inside the engine to prevent any parts from starting to rust.

BTW, 80's motor's arn't that old, I've got a 1968 40hp Evinrude, a 1968 18hp Evinrude, a 1973 4hp Evinrude, a 1963 3hp Evinrude, a 1980 4hp Johnson, and a 1972 6hp Johnson (mid restoration). All these motors (except the 6 at the moment) run beautifully.

Archived