Private fishing hole

wallyfly

Recently visited a fair sized hole in the ground full of fresh rainwater with large eels and copious quantities of spangle perch. Today I took my delightful 4 wt fly rod and a box of deer hair bread flys tied in size 10 and12 hooks plus some size 16 bread crumb dropper flys rigged to 200mm drop. Had a whale of a time for an hour or so catching 25 spangles with one just under 8 inches. I returned the lot of course then fed the ducks with the remains of my berley and wondered home very satisfied with myself. I turned 81 a couple of weeks ago and only fish occasionally in NPD these days so I've revitalised my fishing interests. Good fun! No pics cos my camera is on the blink. Tight Lines. Ian M

14 more today but the fish are already educated to my flies. Just shows you why we have to keep changing our fly and, for that matter, lure colours and patterns. This bit of water has never been fished before so it doesn't take long for them to learn. Saw some mullet jumping too so the original creek which onetime ran to the sea must have provided the brood fish cos the outlet has weirs and has been baffled for 20 odd years. :cheer: Tight lines. IanM

Archived