Wivenhoe Weekend

Surfingant

Hey all, just a quicky from the long weekend. Den and I took the yaks to Wivenhoe on Saturday, we'd both fished the dam a few times for not much more than catfish so with reports of large schools of bass hanging around we were hopeful. Well we quickly found the schools but the wind made it hard for our plastic steeds so we made the call to try for an edge bite, that turned out to be an ok move as Den hooked up to a nice bass early and I followed up shortly after with another.

post-7024-144599053906_thumb.jpeg

post-7024-144599053916_thumb.jpeg

post-7024-144599053925_thumb.jpeg

We both got done by better fish before succumbing to the wind and calling it quits, but absolutely stoked to have finally caught a Wivy bass.

Sunday I reinstalled the transducer in the kayak as I'd been having trouble with it, for the test run I decided another trip to Big W was in order, for this trip I was to be paddling alone but Den went back in the boat with Justin and we met up a few times on the water. Once again lots of schooled fish but they had a severe case of lock jaw, Den managed one again on a plastic but I couldn't find any and nor could Justin.

post-7024-144599053936_thumb.jpeg

On the way back to the launch spot I decided to tie on the successful lure from Saturday, a gold Fish Arrow Gillty blade, and was just casting parallel to the edge hoping to find an active school. With my eye on the sounder I saw what looked like a school so paddled ahead and turned to make the cast, I let the lure sink and then simply slow rolled it through and it got slammed. A short tussle later and my pb yella found its way to my inadequately sized net, after a bit of stuffing around I got a measure and it went 56cm, I was stoked as I'd been chasing a 50+ yella for a while now.

post-7024-14459905393_thumb.jpeg

That saw me satisfied with my weekend, I'd gone from only having caught a few catties and a tilapia in the dam to having cracked a bass and a new PB Golden Perch, happy days :)

Thanks for reading,

Ant.

Archived